Windows laptop - recommendations for specifications; particularly graphics card

I need to buy a new laptop and am looking for some advice on specifications, particularly in regard to a suitable graphics card. I work will all types of microscope images and want a laptop that can handle stacks, deconvolution, etc. I am committed to Windows at present to keep things consistent with my work desktop. Information on screens would also be helpful…

As far as I know, the GPU integrated into current processors is no bottleneck for image processing. As nearly all algorithms use the CPU, the only task of the GPU is to display the images. The only reason for choosing a discrete GPU is a plan to use some specific software that is build to run calculations on a GPU.

Much more important is the CPU power. My laptop has ha Intel Core i5 with 2 cores with up to 2.7GHz and it is about 10 times slower than my desktop with Core i7 and 4 cores that run constantly at 4.5GHz.

RAM is the next important point. Best you choose a notebook where it is possible to add additional RAM. Modern laptops can handle up to 32GB (2x16). If you choose one with soldered RAM, the only way to get more RAM is to buy a new laptop.

A display with high resolution (e.g. 4K) is nice, but many programs still have problems scaling their UI elements. For ImageJ the newest version of Java 9 (still in Beta) is necessary to scale the UI. At minimum you should take FullHD. 25xx by 1440 on 15" or 17" is still large enough to not rely on scaling.

1 Like