Windows 8.1: OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

On a Windows 8.1 box I downloaded the latest CellProfiler and the “Human Cells” example pipeline.

Everything seems to be going OK until I press “Analyze Images”. In a few seconds I see “Pipeline error”. Here’s what was copied to the clipboard:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “analysis_worker.py”, line 367, in do_job
File “cellprofiler\measurements.pyc”, line 1767, in load_measurements_from_buffer
File “tempfile.pyc”, line 293, in mkstemp
File “tempfile.pyc”, line 228, in _mkstemp_inner
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Is this some sort of permission problem in setting up a temporary file?

Thanks for any clue about how to troubleshoot this.

That could be the case. The temp folder can be set under the preferences (File > Preferences) but defaults to an automatic location when CellProfiler is installed. Can you take a look and post what it is currently set to, as well as confirming whether you have read/write access to that location?
-Mark

I’m not sure why, but the problem seems to be the Default Output Folder.

The original defaults worked fine: C:\Users\Earl.

I changed both the default input and output folders to be a work folder, C:\Users\Earl\Desktop\Cell-Profiler\ExampleHumanImages, and I see the reported problem. I changed the input folder back to C:\Users\Earl and everything was fine – so the problem seems to be with the output folder.

I changed both the default input and output folders to a new folder I created, C:\CellProfiler\ExampleHumanImages, and all works fine.

So, I’m not sure what permission is not set right, but I’ve found a work around.

Thanks for your reply!

OK, let us know if it happens again. If it does, send us your registry settings so we can take a look.

You can open the registry editor and go to the key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CellProfilerLocal.cfg and then select File/Export from the menu and send us the .reg file.
-Mark