Which Linux distribution is best suited for OMERO.server

Dear Omero team,
we are struggling getting the omero.server 5.6.2 installation stable on a Ubuntu machine. An original installation with Docker files worked. A minor OS update brought the server down with no recovery.
There has been a second installation following the instructions on the omero website, but it appear that the server is unstable (it starts and crashes after a few minutes). There is no mention in the log of what is happening. The installation has been done by a colleague and now I want to try it myself using a different linux distribution.

Do you have a suggestion to what could be more stable (CentOS, Debian, …). How can we recover a database if the server stop working. Can we reimport the database in a fresh installation.

Thanks

Antonio

We’ve always used CentOS 7 in multiple installs, without any issues. Might be worth a try to see if it sorts out your problems!

1 Like

Hi @apoliti. Just for everyone’s benefit: there’s no reason we know of that an Ubuntu installation should just fail in this way. My first guess is that a PostgreSQL version update was pulled in.

If you think there’s a chance of data lost, before you do anything else, you should stop PostgreSQL (if it’s running) and take a backup of the data directory.

To answer your questions though:

• Most of our production servers are CentOS.
  • Recovery of the DB will depend on what has happened. If you send us the server log file, we can try to help parse what’s going.
  • A database can definitely be migrated to a fresh installation.

All the best,
~Josh.

Thanks Josh,
As I did not the first install I can not yet answer what went wrong. I will try with CentOS and see how it goes. This was a test run and there was no real data loss. So I will not invest time recovering the data base.

Concerning updates I guess one should be careful. I hoped that everything was in separate environments so that those things can’t happen if you update part of the OS.

Understood. Thanks for letting us know. I won’t need to worry then :wink:

A dry-run of the updates to be installed on a system generally makes sense with special care being given to any service like PostgreSQL that’s actively running.

You can certainly separate the database onto a separate server and then perform more frequent upgrades on the frontline servers (nginx, OMERO.web).

Alternatively, you can pin the version of PostgreSQL so that it won’t be automatically upgraded, but then you will need to monitor for updates yourself.

Ultimately, though, some process needs to be in place for safely applying regular security patches to any system that’s exposed to the internet.

~Josh