Version numbers and strange matlab messages

Hi,

I’m using the developer version and have run into a few small issues. When I open CP I get a window that says: ‘A new version of CellProfiler is available… You are still running 7515. The new one is version 7520.’ Looking in the CP GUI the Help>Getting Started says I’m using 1.0.7515. I very recently downloaded the latest version: CP_DevelopersVersion7522 which in the version file says at the top ‘Version 1.0.5811’. I’m a bit confused, but I am ignoring all this at the moment.

The other two issues is when I run some pipelines I get these messages:

Warning: You have used ‘state’ to read the internal state of a normal random
number generator that is not currently active.

In CPthreshold>smooth_log_histogram at 871
In CPthreshold>SumOfEntropies at 923
In CPthreshold at 384
In IdentifyPrimAutomatic at 624
Warning: Using ‘state’ to set RANDN’s internal state causes RAND, RANDI, and RANDN
to use legacy random number generators.
In CPthreshold>smooth_log_histogram at 872
In CPthreshold>SumOfEntropies at 923
In CPthreshold at 384
In IdentifyPrimAutomatic at 624

I run pipelines within my code which is maybe why I get these messages but they aren’t visible when using the CP GUI. I can ignore these as well, but was wondering if they were important.

Also I noticed this message:

Warning: Calling MEX-file ‘C:\Documents and Settings\rigelhcs\My
Documents\MATLAB\CP_DevelopersVersion7522\Modules\IdentifySecPropagateSubfunction.dll’.
MEX-files with .dll extensions will not execute in a future version of MATLAB.

switch to python could turn out to be a great idea, is this one of the reasons?

Thanks, John

Hi John,

I can give a brief answer to a few of these.

[quote=“johnm”]The other two issues is when I run some pipelines I get these messages:
Warning: You have used ‘state’ to read the internal state of a normal random
number generator that is not currently active.
[snip]
Warning: Using ‘state’ to set RANDN’s internal state causes RAND, RANDI, and RANDN
to use legacy random number generators.
[/quote]

Not to worry; these warnings aren’t important. I suspect that you are using a newer version of MATLAB than what was used when the code was written. What version are you using?

[quote=“johnm”]
Warning: Calling MEX-file ‘C:\Documents and Settings\rigelhcs\My
Documents\MATLAB\CP_DevelopersVersion7522\Modules\IdentifySecPropagateSubfunction.dll’.
MEX-files with .dll extensions will not execute in a future version of MATLAB.

switch to python could turn out to be a great idea, is this one of the reasons?[/quote]

Not necessarily for addressing this issue, but for a host of other issues which you can read about here. Also, you may be interested in using svn to check-out the latest developer’s version of CP from our repository (see the link above). It will address (I think) the issues you’ve brought up, which we have noticed ourselves and have fixed internally, but not formally released.

Regards,
-Mark