Velocity and Distance inference from keypoints?

Hi ,
After following the introduction videos and going through the jupyter notebooks, I have managed to get poses of interest. I also have a set of keypoints extracted in the csv files. I was wondering how can i measure or estimate

• Velocity . Considering , for ex i track only the x co-ordinate of the nose . The frame rate is 30 fps. In the scenario, I have the side view of the animal moving horizontally . ( I guess one can calculate only the average velocity , not frame by frame ?)

• In the same scenario, I wanted to measure the distance traversed as well .

• Calculate the angles between keypoints. For that i guess one needs to normalize the keypoints , before treating them as vectors and finding the angles.

I am not sure if the above is possible by just following the keypoints or one needs additional information .

Thanks in advance .
M

You can calculate the instantaneous velocity of the nose using the simple formula: (x2 - x1) / dt, where x1 and x2 are the coordinates in frame 1 and frame 2, and dt is the time elapsed between these two frames; e.g., if you pick two neighboring frames, dt = 1/30.

To measure the distance travelled, you could take the cumulative sum of the frame-by-frame absolute displacements. That is, if your animal moves 15 pixels from frame 1 to frame 2, then steps back 20 from frame 2 to 3, and forward again by 50 pixels from frame 3 to 4, total displacement is 85 pixels. Note that you’d need some sort of scale to convert that back into physical units.

For the angle between keypoints, use the deeplabcut.analyzeskeleton function: it writes a csv file containing lengths and orientations of the “bones” defined in your config.yaml.

Thanks for the reply . so basically (x2-x1)*30 = velocity . I am wondering what would be the units of it because the ,y co-ordinates are plain numbers.

For measuring the distance is there some documentation that could be read.I got a little confused by your explanation.

I realized the pre trained model had no definination of skeleton. I guess there is example of multi animal for which the skeleton is defined . I can perhaps look into that.

Units will be pixels per second.
The distance covered is the sum of all the tiny displacements of your animal from a frame to the next. To define your own skeleton, you could either use our graphical method deeplabcut.SkeletonBuilder or manually define a list of bodyparts to be connected together (where you could also look here) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much .

I guess there must be some kind of pre calibration done to convert pixels into physical units such as meters / sec or km/sec. Is there a method that is followed to determine that. I think the pixel into other physical metric is impossible to determine just from a video sequence.

The distance covered is the sum of all the tiny displacements of your animal from a frame to the next.

Does it mean similar to the displacement of keypoints as mentioned before . So for example

frame 1 x1 - dist traveled x1-x1
frame 2 x2 - dist traveled x2-x1

frame 9 x9 - dist traveled x9-x1

I am just considering a case, the object moving from left to right .
I did find the config.yaml file . I will experiment on that and will update .

You could do this adding a ruler in your camera field (so you’ll know what the pixels -> cm conversion is).
The way you calculate it is correct if you are just interested in the minimal distance traveled (i.e., simply the distance between start and end point).

3 Likes

Measuring conversion from pixel to scale seems to be nearly per pixel or perhaps you mean

• Take a still picture
  • Calculate number of pixels width wise
  • Place a scale parallel to the image and measurement the length in centimeters to get the conversion factor.

Thanks for the tips.

As the footage is from a smartphone i wonder if there could be some in built features from the smartphone could be used .

A small question about skeleton. I tried to connect three parts following your suggestion in config.yaml
like following. Perhaps this is not the right way to do so ?But i havent used the GUI perhaps its better there ?
Manually building the skeleton example

skeleton: [['Stifle', 'Offhindhock'],['Stifle', 'Elbow'],['Elbow','Nearknee']]
skeleton_color: rainbow_gist

Hi Jessy,

if we define SkeletonBuilder in a single animal project, then we cannot use this skeleton info during the training but can use it to calculate angles between the key points. Is it correct? I have read several posts that say, one needs to create a ma-project to be able to use the skeleton feature.

Hello @gokce_ergun! You’re correct, skeleton is used during training only in multi-animal project in order to help linking body parts together :slight_smile:

1 Like