V0.2.0-m9 on MAC not installing

I’ve tried to download the newest version, v0.2.0-m9, on my Mac and receive error that it is damaged and can’t be opened. I tried a number of machines and receive the same error. Anyone else seeing the same?
Thanks,
Shawn

1 Like

I’m not able to check this right now, but no one has reported it to me before - curious as to whether others have installed it successfully.

I’ve had a chance to try this under macOS Catalina and can confirm the message

“QuPath-0.2.0-m9.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin.

However, the downloaded app appears identical to the one originally uploaded… therefore not actually damaged.

As far as I can tell, this is part of Apple’s increasingly-strict rules regarding which apps can run. There is some information here: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/12/23/apple-will-enforce-app-notarization-for-macos-catalina-in-february

This is troublesome for QuPath because the ‘solution’ appears to involve joining Apple’s Developer Program. Since QuPath is open source software developed as part of academic research it’s not entirely clear to me how this should be done/by whom.

Amidst my googling for solutions, I came across the suggestion to run

xattr -rc /path/to/supposedly/damaged.app 

from a Terminal. I don’t know the wisdom/risks of this in general, but I can confirm that running this with QuPath-v0.2.0-m9.app did enable me to run the software.

Alternatively, building the code from source worked from me - it’s only the ‘downloaded from the internet’ fails with the (misleading) damaged message.

Downloading with wget also seems to work…

wget https://github.com/qupath/qupath/releases/download/v0.2.0-m9/QuPath-0.2.0-m9-Mac.dmg

Basically, if macOS adds a ‘quarantine’ flag then it won’t open… if not then it should.


See https://qupath.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docs/intro/installation.html for updated information on installation on macOS.

There is also a new .pkg installer https://github.com/qupath/qupath/releases/tag/v0.2.0-m9 that I think should not have the same issue, and can be run as before (right-click, select ‘Open’).

If you try any of these new methods, please let me know which (if any) work for you.

1 Like

Pete,
As always, thanks for the quick response and work on this issue. I tried using the ‘wget’ method as well as the new .pkg installer and neither worked (same error message). I then noticed that I was using the Mojave OS so I updated to Catalina. Following the OS update I tried the .pkg installer again and now that seems to work.

Thanks,
Shawn

1 Like

Oh, thanks for letting me know - I am only able to test on Catalina. I had optimistically thought older versions wouldn’t have the problem, but I’m glad you have been able to resolve it in any case.

1 Like