Using imagej/fiji to track a video frame by frame, in .ts format

I have a 4gb video file (no audio) in a .ts format. is there an way for me to analyze this video frame by frame (or 5 frames by 5 frames) to track an object? the file is too big for the video converters that I’ve attempted to use.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @rambunctiouslad! :smile:

ImageJ does not support the TS format, but you can convert it to something else that ImageJ could read.

For example, if you convert to AVI with one of the codecs Bio-Formats supports—Microsoft Run-Length Encoding (MSRLE), Microsoft Video (MSV1), Raw (uncompressed), or JPEG—you can use Bio-Formats to import a subset of the video using the “Memory management” options. See also the Video page.

If you need to perform tracking across the entire video simultaneously, you might be able to use TrackMate with a machine with lots of RAM. Or you could try TrackMate3/Mastodon, its not-yet-released but big-data-friendlier successor. If you get stuck, you can ask @tinevez and @tpietzsch for help here. Just be aware that because it’s not released yet, support might be limited currently.

1 Like

Hey, thanks very much. I’m planning on using TrackMate for the second stages of my experiment. I want to test viability of my proposed methodology by using manual frame by frame tracking vs using automated software, like TrackMate. and I will definitely check out TrackMate3/Mastodon. That sounds very interesting, and particularly applicable for my purposes.

One more thing, the codec used by bio-formats to change the video format does not allow for files over 2gb. do yo know of any converter that will allow for a 4gb file? The video has specific reference points built in that would be ruined by chopping it up.

Did you try standard video conversion tools like ffmpeg, as discussed in the StackOverflow answer I linked? Which codec are you trying to export to?

@s.besson @dgault Do you know if there is any video format >2/4GB that Bio-Formats can read? What would you recommend?

1 Like

Unfortunately, ffmpeg only goes up to 4gb, my video is a bit bigger than that. I’m thinking of just going to AVI

found an answer, using k-lite codec pack and vlc player allowed me to convert the file. :grinning:

1 Like

@rambunctiouslad Awesome, glad you figured it out. VLC is so wonderful. I added your solution to the ImageJ wiki here:

1 Like

if it is uploaded through ffmpeg using file>import>Movie (ffmpeg), you can use nearly all video formats. you just have to make sure you have the ffmpeg plugin. That’s kind of a work around without resorting to downloading more software. One problem is that it doesn’t allow you to advance frame by frame backward, that action doesn’t play nice with the decoder.

Got the same problem, converting didn’t help either. What am I doing wrong??? Maybe there’s really something wrong with the editor.