Tracking of split cells only

Hello,

I am fairly new to CP, so I have a few questions to help me in my research. The functionality that I am trying to achieve is to track split cells. In other words I need to track that a cell has split and gather information about the split cell and it’s parent for a variable amount of frames. I need to gather information about the parent and child so that I can assess whether or not the split has occurred successfully and determine if the split cell is normal or if it has divided abnormally.

Currently I am working with the example tracking and metadata example ( http://www.cellprofiler.org/examples.shtml#Tracking ).

I have the example working and I can see the individual cells labeled. When they divide the child and parent are labeled as coming from the same cell. In the end, like I said, I would like to get information about the parent and child for a particular number of frames so that information can be gained from them to access if the cell has divided normally or not.

The problem that I’m having is that I have no clue how to achieve this, any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

[quote=“JayLewis”]I have the example working and I can see the individual cells labeled. When they divide the child and parent are labeled as coming from the same cell. In the end, like I said, I would like to get information about the parent and child for a particular number of frames so that information can be gained from them to access if the cell has divided normally or not.

The problem that I’m having is that I have no clue how to achieve this, any help would be most appreciated.[/quote]

At this point, TrackObjects does not have the option of creating new object labels for progeny of a split. That means the progeny must be inferred from the output data itself, which requires you to read and parse the output CSVs using software such as MATLAB or the like.

The most reliable approach to interpret the tracking data is to use the object relationship table, which is produced by ExportToSpreadsheet if you select “Export all object measurements” as “Yes” (the relationship table will be included as one of the tables output), or select “No” and then select “Object relationships” . This table has the following columns:

• module_number: the module number of the module that produced the relationship. The first module in the pipeline is module #1, etc.

• relationship: the relationship between the two objects, for instance, “Parent”.

• object_name1, object_name2: the names of the two objects being related.

• image_number1, object_number1: the image number and object number of the first object in the relationship

• image_number2, object_number2: the image number and object number of the second object in the relationship

So with this table, you can pick an object in an image, and follow it across frames. If it splits into 2 daughters (for instance), the same (image_number1, object_number1) will appear twice, once for each (image_number2, object_number2) daughter, and you can follow each.

Regards,
-Mark