Surface roughness

i am having issues running waveness_roughness plugins. i keep getting this message whenever i try to…

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: ij.plugin.filter.GaussianBlur.blur(Lij/process/ImageProcessor;D)V
	at Waveness_Roughness.run(Waveness_Roughness.java:78)
	at ij.plugin.filter.PlugInFilterRunner.processOneImage(PlugInFilterRunner.java:256)
	at ij.plugin.filter.PlugInFilterRunner.<init>(PlugInFilterRunner.java:105)
	at ij.IJ.runUserPlugIn(IJ.java:187)
	at ij.IJ.runUserPlugIn(IJ.java:196)
	at ij.IJ.runPlugIn(IJ.java:152)
	at ij.Executer.runCommand(Executer.java:127)
	at ij.Executer.run(Executer.java:64)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Can someone help me out

@Odh

Welcome to the Forum!

So… could you explain better what it is you want to achieve regarding your analysis? What type of images are you analyzing, and what to do you aim to measure exactly?

I am not familiar with this particular plugin… How did you do the installation? At what point does this error occur? Perhaps there are other plugins/tools - such as TopoJ - that can do what you need?

Just let us know…

eta

I want to determine the surface roughness. The image was taken with optical microscope using AmScope CCD camera. I followed the instructions that I should download the plugins to the plugins folder and then restart image. It is .class.

Good day!

I can confirm the problem. The ImageJ-plugin dates 2002/07/29

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/plugins/waveness-roughness.html

and may be incompatible with current versions of ImageJ. You may try to contact the author and ask for assistance. Another approach appears to explore the idea of the processing and code the concept as an ImageJ-macro yourself.

Regards

Herbie

Edit:
According to the docs we learn that:

** blur**

@Deprecated
public boolean blur(ImageProcessor ip,
                                double radius)

Deprecated. 
Gaussian Filtering of an ImageProcessor. This method is for compatibility with the previous code (before 1.38r) and uses a low-accuracy kernel, only slightly better than the previous ImageJ code. The 'radius' in this call is different from the one used in ImageJ 1.38r and later. Therefore, use blurGaussian(ip, sigma, sigma, accuracy), where 'sigma' is equivalent to the 'sigma (radius)' of the Menu, and accuracy should be 0.02 unless better accuracy is desired.

The docs tell you what method to use instead, so that you can correct the Java-code.
Good luck!

1 Like

Ok @Odh … so I’m not sure why this plugin isn’t running for you… though it seems to be a part of this plugin: SurfCharJ. So you could always try that instead (seems to have at least been updated more recently - but still 10+ years old)?

eta