Support for Velmex linear stages

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone has developed the necessary device adapters for using Velmex linear stages with Micro-manager. Any help or starter resources would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chaitanya

Hi Chaitanya,
You could build a controller based on the RepRap RAMPS board and use the RAMPS device adapter (RAMPS - Micro-Manager). I have used this approach when my stepper motor controller broke and I didn’t have the funds to replace the original controller. Building a RAMPS based stepper motor controller is not too expensive (~£100-150) and it works quite well for me.
Good luck,
Volko

Thanks for the response Volko. This looks like the arduino and the ramps board become the stage controller. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

However, I have the stages with the native Velmex controllers, and the connector between them can’t be easily removed. I don’t want to snip those wires.

Is there an ASCII based stage device adapter that I can use as a starting point, and edit to match the velmex communication protocol? Ideally I want to be able to control the XYZ stages using the stage control button in MM.

Thanks!

Most stage device adapters use serial ports and an ASCI interface. Have a look at:

There are doubtlessly more…

Yes, you are right that my suggestion would use the Arduino and RAMPS board as an alternative to the native Velmex stage controller - I wasn’t sure whether you already had a controller for your stage. If you already have the controller, writing a specific device adapter is probably the better option. I am afraid I only have very limited experience writing/modifying the device adapter code, but I am sure there are others that can help you out if you get stuck.
Good luck,
Volko