Support for Bi-Level Tiff/BigTiff?

bio-formats
imagej
plugin

Does anyone know of a plugin that supports read/write of bi-level Tiff/BigTiff? ImageJ and Bio-Formats seem more than happy to read them but I can’t figure out how to save to them. As far as I can tell, saving with ImageJ built-ins converts to 8-bit grayscale and saving using Bio-Formats converts to colormap (16-bit). I would be happy to be wrong on this but it seems like there isn’t a way to save as bi-levels.

Good day Andrew,

please see:
http://forum.image.sc/t/threshold-output-1-bit-g4-tiff/8367/2?u=herbie

Regards

Herbie

I saw that but I am not looking for compression, just uncompressed 1-bit Tiffs.

Andrew,

did you visit the “Image I/O” website?

Best

Herbie

Yes. It didn’t say anything about uncompressed. However, I downloaded the plugin and it claims to offer it in the dialog. Sorry for the nuisance. Thanks for your help as always.

Edit:

I may need to take that back for a bit. I just actually tried it and it seems that the “None” compression option also prevents converting to 1-bit. In fact, my saved image (and I tried a few times) was actually a few MB larger than the 8-bit grayscale. Of course, this issue is something I need to bring up with the plugin writers not here.

Andrew,

you may use Photoshop or a less expensive alternative …

Regards

Herbie

I already tried with MatLab (it isn’t less expensive but our organization already has a license agreement). I can get pretty close but there are a few header values it won’t let me edit. Consequently, the headers are, strictly speaking, invalid and successful reading of the file depends on the diligence of the reading program.

Good day Andrew,

perhaps a final thought regarding the topic …

I guess that the main idea behind formats that respect the binary nature of images is file size. If so, why not save ImageJ (binary-valued) TIF-images as Zip files by using “File >> Save As >> Zip…”. ZIP compression is lossless and with 8bit but binary-valued input images produces very small files that ImageJ opens without any further processing (drag & drop etc.).

The only drawback with this method is, that some applications, notably Photoshop, doesn’t directly open zip-compressed TIF-files, i.e. you have to un-zip them first.

Regards

Herbie

I guess so. But as you yourself pointed out, not a lot of applications can directly read ZIP.