Subtract annotations in 0.2.0-m5

I am trying to from Svidro to subtract annotations from each other in 0.2.0-m5

I’ve used the script below in a previous qupath version (m2) and was able to scour the forums and found that qupath.lib.roi.ROITools changed to qupath.lib.roi.RoiTools and that PathROIToolsAwt was changed to RoiTools. So I have changed the lines which had the older methods/classes (sorry not sure which is the correct term!)

I also read over some of the coding changes when upgrading to M4

as well as M5

But I still can’t get the script to run

import qupath.lib.roi.*
import qupath.lib.objects.*
import qupath.lib.roi.RoiTools

classToSubtract = null

def topLevel = getObjects{return it.getLevel()==1 && it.isAnnotation()}
println(topLevel)
for (parent in topLevel){

def total = []
    def polygons = []
    subtractions = parent.getChildObjects().findAll{it.isAnnotation() }
    println(subtractions)
    for (subtractyBit in subtractions){
        if (subtractyBit instanceof AreaROI){
           subtractionROIs = RoiTools.splitAreaToPolygons(subtractyBit.getROI())
           total.addAll(subtractionROIs[1])
        } else {total.addAll(subtractyBit.getROI())}              

}     
    if (parent instanceof AreaROI){
        polygons = RoiTools.splitAreaToPolygons(parent.getROI())
        total.addAll(polygons[0])
    } else { polygons[1] = parent.getROI()}

def newPolygons = polygons[1].collect {
    updated = it
    for (hole in total)
       m  updated = RoiTools.combineROIs(updated, hole, RoiTools.CombineOp.SUBTRACT)
         return updated
    }
                // Remove original annotation, add new ones
    annotations = newPolygons.collect {new PathAnnotationObject(updated, parent.getPathClass())}

addObjects(annotations)

removeObjects(subtractions, true)
    removeObject(parent, true)
}
print "done"

This is the error I get when I try to run it - full error shown in script block below

INFO: [Annotation (Rectangle) (1 objects)]
INFO: [Annotation (Rectangle)]
ERROR: Error at line 30: No signature of method: org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.m() is applicable for argument types: (qupath.lib.roi.GeometryROI) values: [Geometry (28243, 25239, 4321, 4804)]
Possible solutions: is(java.lang.Object), dump(), any(), get(java.lang.String), any(groovy.lang.Closure), tap(groovy.lang.Closure)

ERROR: Script error
    at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.callGlobal(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:399)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.access$100(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:90)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl$3.invokeMethod(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:303)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl$3.invokeMethod(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:292)
    at groovy.lang.GroovyObjectSupport.invokeMethod(GroovyObjectSupport.java:44)
    at groovy.lang.Script.invokeMethod(Script.java:77)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeOnDelegationObjects(ClosureMetaClass.java:397)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeMethod(ClosureMetaClass.java:337)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PogoMetaClassSite.callCurrent(PogoMetaClassSite.java:64)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:51)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:156)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:168)
    at Script195$_run_closure3.doCall(Script195.groovy:34)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:101)
    at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:323)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeMethod(ClosureMetaClass.java:263)
    at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1041)
    at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:405)
    at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:421)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.collect(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:3574)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.collect(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:3513)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.collect(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:3499)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.dgm$88.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite$PojoMetaMethodSiteNoUnwrapNoCoerce.invoke(PojoMetaMethodSite.java:244)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite.call(PojoMetaMethodSite.java:53)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:47)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:115)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:127)
    at Script195.run(Script195.groovy:31)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.eval(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:317)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.eval(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:155)
    at qupath.lib.gui.scripting.DefaultScriptEditor.executeScript(DefaultScriptEditor.java:797)
    at qupath.lib.gui.scripting.DefaultScriptEditor.executeScript(DefaultScriptEditor.java:731)
    at qupath.lib.gui.scripting.DefaultScriptEditor.executeScript(DefaultScriptEditor.java:711)
    at qupath.lib.gui.scripting.DefaultScriptEditor$2.run(DefaultScriptEditor.java:1111)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I’ve read the posts on the past issues with this script and subtracting annotations, but I dont think there has been on on M5 - at least not one I could easily find.

There is an extra m in the code that shouldn’t be there.

for (hole in total)
       **m**  updated = RoiTools.combineROIs(updated, hole, RoiTools.CombineOp.SUBTRACT)
         return updated
    }
1 Like

Ooph… I can’t believe I missed that. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my lab that is familiar with coding - even then, I am only proficient with R. Thank you so much for your quick reply!!! This forum is a wonderful resource and I sincerely appreciate everyone’s inputs and participation! Keep up the amazing work!

1 Like

I see that and “H”/“D” in my code all the time due to using the shortcut keys for swapping mouse tools/visibility with the coding window highlighted. :slight_smile:

1 Like