Statistical Parameter Estimation on Particle Analysis Counts?

Hello there, I have posted this question to other stats forums and haven’t got any responses, so I figured I would post here. Even if you could point me in the right direction or tell me I’m completely wrong, I would appreciate it immensely.

I have a repository full of old macro images of nuclear fuel rod pellets at varying points in an experiment. My goal is to do a particle analysis on these images and take the total count from the analysis to compute porosity of a pellet. This is only a proof-of-concept so there are some assumptions at play. Currently, what I am doing is getting the count and transforming it through this equation:

N_v = \left\{\frac{\text{Count}}{\text{Area}} \times 10^{12}\right\}^{\frac{3}{2}}

Where area is the size of the image I have taken. The problem with these old images, is that they have been stitched together and there is significant white-space (that shouldn’t be there) throughout the photograph. So I cannot possibly run a analyze particles on the image at once.

I have thus, resorted to randomly sampling from decent portions of the image to get an idea of what the general count/area for the image. This is where my problem complicates.

I have narrowed my thresholding method down to the local methods, Phansalkar & Sauvola. I have noticed that Sauvola gives me, on average, more conservative (read lower) counts; while Phansalkar gives me more outrageous counts. I have also tried playing around with radius and parameter 2 of both methods. Each generating varying results.

Currently, I have a script that follows this algorithm, generating me about 3500 observations for 1 macro image:

1. Randomly sample image from a specified (x,y) bound on the photograph - save image
  2. Threshold the image at default Phansalkar settings
  3. Analyze particles - save results
  4. Load non-thresholded sample image
  5. Threshold image at default Sauvola settings
  6. Analyze particles - save results
  7. Repeat process the same image at varying parameter settings for both Phansalkar & Sauvola settings: parameter 2 = [0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8] & [125, 126, 128] respectively.
  8. Repeat for 100 different sample images within (x,y) bound keeping area constant.
  9. Repeat for 5 different (x,y) bounds.

This process is just for 1 macro photo. I have several similar photos at varying time periods of an experiment. So I’m forecasting, when all said, and done I will have around 1 million observations (Although the observations will be dependent since I am using the sample image multiple times).

Currently, my distribution of counts looks something like this:

Where the counts are bimodal, centering around ~18 & ~34 particles per sample image.

My goal is to determine the most likely count of so that I can compute particle density and use credible intervals (or confidence intervals) on regression at some point in the future.

I am not a much of an image-processor, and I am only a statistician in training. My gut tells me that we need to model, not only the uncertainty of the particle count and different positions in the photo (representing different positions of the fuel pellet) but also the uncertainty of the measurements given by ImageJ.

Am I taking this too far? Should I just pick a thresholding parameter and stick with it? I could just average the counts and get a point estimate, but I need a way to convey uncertainty about that estimate.

My idea was to use a Poisson or Negative Binomial regression model to control for position, parameter, and method, but I am so steeped in observations that I feel I have lost sight of what I’m really trying to do. Which is to determine most likely count of particles at any given place of the fuel pellet.

I would really appreciate any insight, advice, or industry standards here. I’m sure this problem (uncertainty in thresholding) has been thought about before.

1 Like

Hi @ dylanjm ,

That’s a very interesting question: “How do you know you choose the good threshold method/parameters?”

So far, what we recommend to our users is to visually inspect some of the images and their respective detections and verify that it gives similar results over some images from the different experimental conditions.

In imagej, in the Analyse particles plugin, you can select add to Manager and display the outlines of the detected objects on the image.

I’m not familiar with counting particles within a fuel pellet, could you share an image?

I’m not 100% sure what your graph represents. You mentioned that you tried different set of parameters. Are the different light blue lines representing the different set of parameters?
If that’s the case, I would say that the overall result is independent of the set of parameters you use. Did you look to another image of your repository? Do you have similar behavior?

Regarding your results, it seems you have two populations. The difference is two fold, so that something you should clearly see on your image.
You randomly subsample your image to do the counting. Is the Field of View fully occupied by the pellet ? or Is the field of view contains many different pellets? Depending of the size of the subsampling window, you could end up with sub-image which are totally in the pellet while others are on the edges of your pellet (and so have less count while actually having same density within the pellet ). Here again it would help to have a look to the images

I’m not sure I really answered your question but thank you for this post, as I wrote above: “it’s a very interesting question” !

Best regards,

Romain