Specific surface area, Vol or Encl. Vol?

Hi,
I would like to calculate the specific surface area for pores with the result table produced by BoneJ/Particle Analyze.
Specific surface area(SSA) can be expressed in units of area per volume of sample (m2/cm3). That’s area divided by volume.
But what I wonder now is which volume value should I use in the result table?
Vol or Encl. Vol

Their definition:
Vol : particle volume
Encl. Vol: Volume enclosed by surface mesh (0 if too small for mesh to be produced; see warning log)

From the definition, I think the enclosed volume is more suitable to calculate the SSA. But I’m not sure, so I want to ask here.

And does the Vol means the pore is not enclosed by surface?But I wonder why does it exist pore volume is not surrounded by the surface? The pores in the solid must be surrounded by the surface, except for the surface pores :joy:…Sorry, my spatial imagination is limited…

Thanks
Mengying

I updated the documentation to make this clearer.

I agree. This way there is consistency in the way the particle has been represented (i.e. as a surface mesh) for both area and volume.

No - the measurements are made differently, one using a pixel count and one using a surface mesh. All particles (even the smallest) are represented in a pixel count volume, but small particles tend to get smoothed away when making the surface mesh, so may be missing from the Encl. Vol measurement list.

@mdoube
Your answer has successfully solved my doubts. Thank you!

1 Like