Simple question

Hi,

I’m new around here. Why do we need to install the developer’s version to add plugins? Why am I unable to directly drag a python file into the plugins folder? I’m not very familiar with computer business so some explanation would be awesome. I’m trying to add a new module to CP but it might get complicated if I have to ask everyone in my group to install the developer’s version.

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

[quote=“jhsun96”]Hi,

I’m new around here. Why do we need to install the developer’s version to add plugins?[/quote]

You don’t have to! See this for more info:
github.com/CellProfiler/CellPro … our_module

You should be able to. Maybe you are trying to do this “on-the-fly”? That won’t work. Drag your .py file with CellProfiler closed down, and then restart CellProfiler, making sure that the Preferences are set beforehand (File/Preferences in the menu, “CellProfiler plugins directory” in the dialog).

Does that help?
David

Yes, that definitely helps! I created a new plugin folder (the existing “plugin” folder is inside of a .zip that I can’t extract/edit for some reason) and placed my module in there.

I wanted to edit the existing LoadImages module so that it loads images in descending order. However, I’m getting a bunch of import errors, probably because I created this new folder. Do you have any recommendations?

Hi,

You can change the location of the plugins folder within the Preferences… menu item, which sounds like it is set incorrectly. On Mac, this is found at CellProfiler->Preferences, but on Windows I believe it is under the File menu.

David