Sharing contents

Hi @OMETeam

How to share the single source uploaded image to multiple groups with out any data/content/image duplication. For now we upload image in Admin user and move those to Student or viewers group. How to avoid this step and make Single upload source and share to user/students with out move option.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @vsnlme108,
Check out the duplicate CLI tool towards the bottom of this page: Data management and cooperation — OMERO guide 0.2.0 documentation
It allows duplication and moving the same images/datasets to multiple groups without duplicating the image pixels themselves.
Cheers,
Damir

2 Likes

@dsudar
Thanks for your reply.
my question is if we move the images to multiple groups the storage space is getting increased by duplication of the same images or not?

Hi @vsnlme108,

The duplicate does the best it can to not duplicate storage by using hard links. Unless you have a non-traditional setup, I would expect this to work for you.

~Josh.

As @joshmoore says: almost no additional space usage because the image data will just be a hard link in the file system.
Your workflow would probably remain very similar as you have it now: import the image(s) as the Admin user, execute the duplicate step, then move the duplicate copy to either your Student and/or Viewer group. It would be quite easy to write a very simple shell script to do these steps in sequence to make your life easier.
~ Damir

1 Like

Hi @dsudar
Thanks for the documents, I tried and it leads to this error message.
screenshot attached

My ultimate search is 1 set of Project with Different datasets should be assign to multiple groups with out Datasets re upload and no extra hard disk space.And all the group have access to same Project with data sets.

Thanks

Hi @vsnlme108 ,
The pip install failure may be related to not being in the correct environment. You have to make sure you first activate the environment in which the OMERO server is installed before running the pip install command.

The “omero duplicate” functionality should indeed allow you to do what you want. If you import all the Images into Datasets in a Project inside one Group, then you can duplicate that Project and move the duplicate copy in its entirety to a second Group, and, if desired, duplicate again and move to the third Group, etc. Users belonging to each of the Groups will see the entire Project with all Datasets and Images inside and all annotations and modifications within each Group will be confined to just that one Group. But almost no additional hard disk space will be used (except for some space for additional records in the postgres DB).
Cheers,
Damir

Hi @dsudar
Yes I got the command running sucessfully, but i receive this error message
attachment

Thanks for prompt reply and support.

Hi @vsnlme108 ,

you are currently logged into root and using the “system” group. You will need to change your current group to access the Dataset:

$ omero sessions group -h
usage: /usr/local/anaconda3/envs/omero-py/bin/omero sessions group [-h] [target]

Set the group of the given session by id or name
If any current services are open, the command will fail.

Positional Arguments:
  target              Id or name of the group to switch this session to
2 Likes

Hi @joshmoore and @dsudar
Finally i got the duplication command running successfully, but the real issues in not addressed by this data duplication.
see the screenshot before and after duplication in /OMERO folder
Before Dataset Duplication
before duplicate

After Dataset duplication
After duplicate

Check the screenshot the space in the hard disk and the files in the folder also increasing.
I don’t want to make the same single Dataset to be assigned to multiple groups with out any extra harddisk space and files, just like one to many dataset sharing.

Thanks

Hi @vsnlme108,

Can you tell us a bit more about the filesystem? How is it mounted on the OMERO server? The only reason I can think of for the space usage to increase would be that hard-links are not supported. Is it possible that just this space measurement tool is not taking hard-links into account? Has the total available space for the filesystem decreased?

~Josh

1 Like

Hi @joshmoore Thanks for prompt reply.
the file system is xfs.
I checked the /OMERO folder size only, that is what you seen in previous reply with screenshot>
kindly see the screenshot for filesystem check

What tool is doing the file-size checking? Can you run du -s /OMERO before and after using duplicate?

Hi @joshmoore Thanks for reply.
see the screenshot before and after duplication in /OMERO folder
Before Dataset Duplication
before
After Dataset duplication
after1

Hi @vsnlme108, that is quite encouraging, no? My theory would be that would ever application you were using above to test the filespace was not aware of hard-links. You could test this in a separate directory by placing a single large file, then hard-linking it and seeing if the usage goes up.

All the best,
~Josh