Separating background, particle, and particle highlights

I am analyzing some particles to quantify the amount of surface area that have specular highlights or are “glossy”. Here is an example:

Single particle

Breaking the problem down I need to:

1. select the particle from the background and calculate the total area
  2. select the glossy parts on the particle only and calculate the area

By adjusting the threshold, I can select most of the particle–only some of the glossy parts are not selected and if I adjust the threshold enough to select the glossy parts, then the background is also selected. At the same time, if I adjust the threshold in order to select the glossy parts of the particle the background is selected.

I’ve tried a few different things with the end result that I have been unable to separate the background, particle, and glossy parts on particle. This is my first time doing image analysis and I’ve been struggling with this for a week. I’m not even sure I’m using the correct terminology.

Thanks.

I’m trying to attach a .tiff example but it doesn’t seem to be uploading. Can anyone help a newbie?

Thanks.

@afmcleroy

I think the attachment of your image is just fine - I was able to access the tiff file just fine.

Here is a snapshot of me having opened it in ImageJ:

46 AM

Will start helping you address your questions in a bit…

eta

@afmcleroy

You can start by looking at this recent Forum thread:

I think this will be the best place for you to start in creating your segmentation workflow… All the techniques people proposed there - as well as helpful links - are applicable to your situation.

For example… I tried with the Trainable Weka Segmentation plugin to segment those three regions and this was my first quick-go of it using the default settings (too - I wasn’t sure what exactly you consider ‘glossy’ sections - so this might not be ideal yet):

Perhaps this tool is a good place for you to start… and once you have trained a classifier - you can apply it to multiple images acquired using the same settings/conditions.

If you have more specific questions still - post again!

eta :slight_smile:

Thank you! This is a great start for me.

1 Like