SciView requirements for Fiji users

Dear all,

Because of the lockdown most of our microscopy facility users are now processing their data. I was perusing all the different options available in Fiji for 3D rendering and have been trying Sciview with not very good results :frowning:

I have installed it from the updater manage websites and have taken a look to the forum info, but being a biologist most of the recommendations are difficult to follow.

I would like to know if there are some computer requirements that must be met in order to run SciView without problems appart from the plugin installation from Fiji.

My laptop is quite old, so maybe the problem is there, but nevertheless this would be very useful information for my users.

Thanks a lot for your help and greetings from Madrid,

Verónica

3 Likes

Hi Veronica!

Sorry you’ve had issues with sciview, we (@kephale and me) are currently working on improving stabilitity and usability, and will have a much improved version ready approximately end of next week.

That being said, there are some requirements: With the software being a new development, we had to make a cut somewhere, which means graphics cards before Nvidia’s Kepler generation (~2012) are not supported. You don’t need a dedicated graphics card, if your laptop is halfway recent with an integrated GPU (approximately 2017 onwards). However, your graphics drivers need to be up-to-date because older drivers often have bugs (that we can often neither foresee nor circumvent), or do not support current graphics API standards (like OpenGL 4.1 or Vulkan 1.0 that we require). If you can give me some details about your laptop, I’m happy to render a judgement regarding its sciview-readiness :+1:

Also, if you have any concrete (feature) requests, or want to mention things you’ve had issues with, please let us know!

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks a lot for the super-fast reply!

Well, I am afraid my graphic card might be not the best : AMD Radeon HD 7550M. I think I was able to update the controller, although the laptop is old :frowning: Windows 7 64bits, 4Gb RAM.

When I run SciView I can see the scene floor and can rotate it. I have used the File>Open option in SciView to try opening a composite tif file with no success (some errors appeared on the console). I could open a single channel tif though, but could not zoom in (shift+mouse wheel), and everything goes very slow, I could not run the Game of life 3D demo either.

I send you attached 2 snapshots of the console, just in case you find them useful.

I will talk to one of my coworkers, maybe her computer is better.

Thanks again, having that info regarding grafic cards is very useful. When the lockdown is over I could try again in one of the microscopy facility workstations.

Kind regards,

Verónica

1 Like

Hi Verónica,

Have you updated SciView recently? In theory, we found/fixed this bug at the end of February and the fix should be available on the update site.

Thanks!
Kyle

1 Like

Hi Kephale,

I installed it yesterday from the Fiji update websites, I can run another update right now just in case :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Verónica

Hi Verónica,

Aha, ok, I’ll dig into this, but will need a couple of days. I’m also tracking this here:

For some reason it seems like the version you got from the update site isn’t the one with the fix, which means we need to update the update site.

Thanks for finding this!
Kyle

2 Likes

Many thanks to you both!!

Hi Verónica,

If you don’t mind, could you post the output of running “Plugins > Debug > System Information” either here or https://github.com/scenerygraphics/sciview/issues/261?

We have tried reproducing this with the latest SciView from the update site on Linux, Windows, and MacOS [without success].

Thank you!
Kyle

Of course! Here it goes:

Thank you Kyle!

V.

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you. It seems like we’ve narrowed in on the issue. Although we’ve fixed the code in sciview, there is an issue with the update site mechanism. A fix has been proposed on the developer chat channel, but we need to hear from some extra folks before the fix gets approved (this needs to happen at a level above sciview).

We’ll keep you posted, hopefully this shouldn’t take too long!

1 Like

Hi Verónica,

We’ve been doing a lot of work recently on replacing the previous volume rendering with BigVolumeViewer, and are starting testing now.

Would you mind (ideally in a fresh fiji installation) trying out the SciView-Unstable update site? The URL is https://sites.imagej.net/SciView-Unstable/

Thank you!
Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I did as you requested: I downloaded a fresh Fiji and added your unstable URL. I could launch Sciview GUI but could not open my tif stack. I tried several times, also with a lif file…I copied all the info appearing on the Fiji Console, you can download it from here:

I hope this helps! On Monday I could ask one of my workmates also, her computer is not that old ^^ U

Have a nice weekend,

Verónica

1 Like

Hello again Kyle,

My workmate also had problems with SciView at her computer. Her console info is here in case it would help you:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6Xz-ebBY3LtckVjdR0NkA2Ua2J-K0rg/view?usp=sharing

Stay safe,

Verónica