Save display range parameters

I know this is a basic question but I haven’t been able to find an answer. Like a lot of users, I want to open several images (all acquired with the same fluorescence channel and exposure), adjust the display window the same for all images, then save the images with the adjusted display range but still with all of the original data. So if I open that image again, I will be able to see the original range from 0 to 65,535 AND the display range (e.g., 10,000 to 40,000). Hitting apply in B&C isn’t an option because it permanently alters the data (this is a shocking feature since it’s exactly what most image analyzers want to avoid). I suppose I can write down the display range and set it again each time I open the image(s) but it seems like there must be an easier way store the display range without altering the original image.

What you describe is already the standard behaviour for 16-bit TIFF images. So when you save the image, the image data is preserved unchanged, and the min/max values of the display range is saved as a property of the image. If you use the Set button on the B&C dialog there is an option to propagate the chosen min/max to all other images. If you see any other behaviour please report with some more details, as that would be a bug that needs to be fixed. Make sure you have upgraded to the latest version of ImageJ before you test this, as there were some bugs related to the B&C dialog around version 1.53g.

1 Like