Reslice bug (?)

Noticed by @Christian_Tischer during a Fiji practical course, bug reporting outsourced to me :smiley: I successfully reproduced it on my machine.

Expected Behavior

Get Reslices with different pixel sizes when using Image>Stacks>Reslice [/] with “Avoid interpolation” unchecked and different output spacing (e.g. 0.1 and 1.0).

Current Behavior

The resliced image is the same size (121x56) regardless of output spacing value (0.1 and 1.0).

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open Fiji > File > Open Samples > Mitosis
  2. Navigate to z 4/5, t 11/51
  3. Draw diagonal line from top to bottom of green fluorescence. (also reproduced with Segmented line)
  4. Image > Stacks > Reslice
  5. Uncheck “Avoid interpolation”
  6. set “Output spacing” to 1.0
  7. Repeat with “output spacing”=0.1

Context (Environment)

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro. ImageJ Version 2.0.0-rc-69/1.52p, Build 269a0ad53f. Fiji updater was ran today morning.

The students could reproduce the problem in various Windows and Mac machines.

Detailed Description

2 Likes

@Wayne
Can you reproduce this behaviour?
Essentially we did not manage to change the number of “z-planes” in the resliced image, but according to the documentation it should be possible:

Output spacing determines the number of orthogonal slices that will reconstructed.

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/docs/menus/image.html#reslice

cc @ctrueden

“Output spacing” is ignored with segmented line selections and just one orthogonal slice is generated for each time point. With straight line selection, the number of orthogonal slices generated is determined by the value of the “Slice count” field. I will update the documentation to make this clearer.

thank you very much - this seems like a closed issue then :slight_smile: