Redirect Image path for CPA use

Hi,

I currently run all my CelProfiler analysis on a Win7 workstation which is shared by our group, and accessed over remote desktop via our university campus IT system. As a result, the image file path is something like c:\users\studentID\desktop\CP\images…

I transfer images onto the workstation for processing, then remove them. It is a joint resource on which I can’t store all my images as I approach 0.5Tb and continue to acquire.

So when I try to run CPA on my own machine, I cannot access the image files as the path is no longer valid

So, is it possible for me to change the PathName contained in my SQLite database after I have exported it to my own personal storage location? I think this would also be useful when processing on the move etc.
I see in the properties file that it just grabs the PathName from the database, so if I could even hard wire a new image path into there then that would be great

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

There are several SQLite editors/managers available on the web as freeware. The two that I am familar with are SQLite Database Browser and SQLite Manager, a add-on for Firefox. Either of these could be used to change the paths in the SQLite database , provided you know some basic MySQL commands.

Alternately, I wonder whether you could use symbolic links to reference the images. This way, you can maintain the same path reference in the database, and just change the folder that the link points to. I don’t know for certain whether CP would keep the symbolic path (which is what you want) or convert it to the absolute path (which you wouldn’t want).

Regards,
-Mark

Hi Mark,

CP converted to the absolute path unfortunately. I’ve settled on a solution which isn’t particularly elegant, which is storing all CP data in C:\CellProfiler and syncing that folder accross the three computers I use so that the absolute path is consistent. It works fine and I’m thoroughly impressed by CPA!

SQLite Manager was also a good tip, and I’ll use that in the future if I ever need to make minor alterations to my output databases.

Cheers for the help,
Paul

Great; glad that you found a solution that worked!
-Mark