Read Number From Image

Hi Fellas,

I am new to scikit-image. Can any one have idea how can i detect number from image. if anyone know please share with you’re guide line.

Note: Images are only contains number(Basically photo capture from mobile)

Thanks In Advance

Do you mean classifying images of hand-written digits?

https://scikit-learn.org/stable/auto_examples/classification/plot_digits_classification.html

3 Likes

No jan, it’s digital image. give you few example here.

The above image open only in browser and i need to read that digit like 14.5 as per image

I think you are searching for some OCR application, this is an easy implementation from a nice website

I didn’t try it with your image, but I guess that with some parameters tuning you can achieve your goal.

Have a nice day,
Emanuele Martini

5 Likes

Hi Emanuele Martini,

Thanks for you’re help. i will check with this and update you for the same

Have a nice day,
Mihir Patel

Hi Emanuele Martini,

I checked with you’re example. But it’s not work in mine case as there are many kind of image which not will be in same format. Can you please let me know if there are other way to handle image reading(not handwritten image)

Thanks & Regards,
Mihir Patel

What do you mean by different format?

Hi Emanuele Martini,

In our case the digital number image would be at different location and position so might it is effect in our case. can you tell me some other scenario from where i can read number from mobile image(digital numbers).

Thanks & Regards,
Mihir Patel

Good day Mihir Patel,

please be aware of the fact that your task is non-trivial!

I doubt that you will find an existing solution that does exactly what you want.

The processing steps are:

1. Find the position of the numeric block in your image
  2. Normalize the block in order to remove geometric distortions
  3. Segment the numerals
  4. Classify the numerals which is rather easy for this kind of 7-segment displays

Good luck

Herbie

1 Like

Hi Herbie,

In the processing steps

1. Find the position of the numeric block in your image - Position is not same in every Images. i have millions of image on AWS server and i have to do it in database. so it will be smooth in working process

Thanks & Regards,
Mihir Patel

Position is not same in every Images

Yes, of course and that’s why you have to find or determine it!

Please think logically and please read carefully!

Regards

Herbie

In my opinion, openCV is the best scenario where you can find solution for your problem.
It’s a very wide and successful used tool to analyse this kind of images and problems.
And with large dataset like yours.

BUT as @anon96376101 well noted

but of course openCV can deal with:

it could be maybe not straightforward but they are well known Computer Vision’s problems (OCR number recognition, and object finding in an image)

You will have to combine those two main steps (find the numeric block area in your image and classify the digits) where it seems the first part the harder one.
But it could be tackled with success, just it’s not trivial.
And I can maybe help you but in my spare time…
The website I suggested you it was intended as a starting point.

Have a nice day,
Emanuele

P.S.:
Just a question, is it for a commercial company or for research that you need it?

P.S.2:

just an add to that, I don’t think you will find something better and easier (read already implemented…) than openCV for your specific case; but maybe someone else can suggest other tools.

1 Like

Here is a pre-processed version of your sample image:
pre

It is computed from the S-channel after HSB-transformation.

Here is a horizontal projection of this image:

From the frame in red you get the vertical limits of the number block.

Here is a vertical projection of this image:

From this signal it is possible to estimate the horizontal limits of the digits (green frames).

This gives you:
pre-1

The segmented digits can now be classified.

Good luck

Herbie

3 Likes

Hi Herbie,

Thanks for your valuable time. Can you please provide me steps for this. Also share source code It will be helpful.

No source code, but you could write it according to the earlier posted steps.
Everything was done by using the GUI of plain ImageJ.

Regards

Herbie

Hi Emanuele Martini,

It’s on research level for big product. Actually I am not specifically python developer. working on multiple technology that’s why i have to suffer for many things. But i things it will be more clear with your approach. Thanks for your more valuable time. if i will getting failed for this approach will defiantly coordinate with You and Herbie. Thanks a lot folks.

Thanks & Regards,
Mihir Patel

1 Like

Okay Gotach Herbie.I will following the same.

Thanks & Regards,
Mihir Patel

@mihir_patel Hi, I am working on similar problem. Just wanted to know if you solved your problem using these instructions. Let me know if you can help me with also

kindly tell me what is the nuber in this mortercycle

I am waiting for answers. Is there any software to read this number,pls check and tell me what is the number in this bike