"Raw" image contrast by default

Hi,

When I look at the visual results in CP, I am often surprised by the result until I notice again that image contrast of the pictures is displayed as “Normalized”.
I like to have it displayed as “Raw” by default. Is there a way to set this as default (I can’t find it in the preferences) or is it an idea to add this option?

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I’ve placed this on our list of features to add in an upcoming release. Thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, can you tell us why the normalized display comes as a “surprise”? In the past, we’ve found that most users prefer their data normalized for viewing. It’s not uncommon for the raw display to show everything as very dim, or almost black…

Regards,
-Mark

Hi Mark,

I often use the ImageMath module. And when I look at the result (e.g. subtraction) I expect a representation of the real values. When I do a thresholding afterwards I like to know whether the foreground and background are far from each other or not. I can have a look at the values but a look at the resulting image gives me the fastest information. To have a nice visual contrast it can be nice to use the normalized image contrast.

My result images are never dim, or almost black. I always use 24bit RGB images (and splitted 8 bit channels). Maybe it happens more often with images with larger bitdepth

Regards,
Peter