Ratings for Fiji plugins

Hi, I was wondering that with the great Fiji launch wether we can also add a user based plugin ranking system with 5 star based system where users can give stars to the plugins and the list of plugins can be sorted by rank? What do you think @ctrueden @imagejan @tinevez

To give ‘stars’ according to what? And more important, what for?

The users of the plugin should give this as a feedback on how much people find it useful and also to track the user base behind the software and also as a motivation to analysts to make user friendly tools else they will get only 1/5 stars and on contrary good tools get 5/5 stars.

Hi,
Not sure about the rating idea, but maybe something nice would be a direct link to a research in this forum with the plugins name as keyword? It would give access to users feedback if any

Finding out how many people found a plugin useful is not doable via a star system.
Reminds me of Customer Ratings. :man_facepalming:
I would rather rely on published research and make my mind up whether it is useful or not for a particular application.

1 Like

Ah, so we can instead make a list of articles citing/using the plugin or where the analyst is in the paper him/herself and can tag the paper to the plugin. Yeah but now the idea is complicated already. Oh well, never mind just thought of replicating the github stars in Fiji.

Once we have a Maven-based ImageJ Updater, it will ping maven.scijava.org to see if a new version of each enabled update site’s linked artifact has been released. Similar to the current update checks on update.imagej.net, update.fiji.sc, and sites.imagej.net, these update pings will tell us which installations have which update sites enabled—but it will be much simpler for each update site to represent an individual plugin with this scheme, meaning this information—which is usage counts per update site—will begin to more closely resemble usage counts per plugin. Ultimately, I see this enabling us to migrate ImageJ/Fiji more toward a per-plugin installation model, with a plugin browser, rather than the Updater’s current clunky update site picker.

3 Likes