Radiograph analyses - joint space width and erosions

Hello,

Does anyone know how to use imajej to identifiy erosions area in hand and foot radiographs and measure joint space width? The idea is to have quantitive measure to better apply Sharp van der Heijde scoring.
There are articles citing that they used imajej but I can find how it is done: e.g. " COMPUTER-BASED METHODS FOR MEASURING JOINT SPACE AND ESTIMATING EROSION VOLUME IN THE FINGER AND WRIST JOINTS OF PATIENTS WITH RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS JOHN T. SHARP, JILL C. GARDNER, and EARL M. BENNETT"

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Could you provide us with an example image so we could try to find a good way for the proposed analysis?

It is unfortunate that many papers do not specify the details of the actual methods they use. ImageJ is just a tool with many options. For specific analysis of a paper I would also suggest to contact the authors.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I still do not have access to the images but it will be something similar to this: http://rheumatology.usherbrooke.ca/?q=scoresharp/extremity/203/scoresharp.
For sharp van der heijde scoring I have to identify erosions and classify them from 1-5, these would be much easier if I could determine the area affected: less than 20% I could score 1 and if more than 80% I would score 5, being a less subjective approach.
I will also contact the authors. Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like