QuPath Intro: Choose your own analysis(adventure)

Measuring areas

Positive pixel count: Measuring one stain vs everything else. Your basic % area tool.

Create cytokeratin annotations: Similar to positive pixel count, except with a few additional options and generates annotations rather than detections. You can run cell detections within these. Even… different cell detections for the different areas!

Tiles: When you quickly want a lot of squares. Good starter analysis. Create detections or annotations.

SLIC superpixel segmentation: My personal favorite due to flexibility, but requires more coding to really get the most out of it. Create detections only… at first.

Subcellular detections: Very workaroundy, and likely to attract some Pete based aggro, but annotation objects can be turned into cell objects with a script, and the resulting area can be analyzed using subcellular detections.

Much of this will likely be obsolete once the Pixel classifier is fully functional. If none of this sounds right for your area measurements, you may want to look into 0.2.0m# for that feature. Be aware that it is not yet able to be run across a project, and has to be trained on each individual image. Another option is using the flexibility of ImageJ or scripting to perform your own, custom analysis.

Positive pixel count

There are several ways to measure areas, the most popular of which is Analyze->Region identification->Positive pixel count (experimental).

Basically, a selected annotation will be divided up into positive, negative, and neither pixels. Summary measurements will be added to the parent annotation. The positive pixel and negative pixels will be detection objects, while pixels that meet neither threshold will be left blank. Here you can see the red (positive) pixels, blue (negative/hematoxylin pixels), and some empty space that was below the hematoxylin threshold.

Resulting measurements include:

Positive % of stained pixels: Positive/(Positive+Negative)*100

Positive % of total ROI area: Positive/(Positive+Negative+Neither)*100

The first one ignores white space/areas below the hematoxylin threshold.

0.1.2 warning: In 0.1.2, each area analyzed by the tool required at least one “negative” pixel, or else the percentage positive would error out. This problem could usually be compensated for by placing a negative value in the Hematoxylin threshold (‘Negative’), but if your whole project will revolve around this feature, I would recommend figuring out the setup of version 0.1.3 or trying out 0.2.0m#.

Downsample factor: As normal, a pure increase in pixel size. Larger values will run faster, but be less accurate.

Gaussian sigma: Blur. Increase this for smoother annotations or to increase performance due to masses of different pixel objects on screen.

Hematoxylin threshold (‘Negative’): Essentially the threshold for tissue versus whitespace.

Eosin/DAB threshold (‘Positive’): Pixels above this threshold in the second deconvolved channel will be considered Positive.

IMPORTANT: I have often flipped my positive and negative vectors and thresholds due to one specific interaction between positive and negative. If a pixel is above both the negative and positive threshold, it is considered “positive.” In cases where there is dark background in another stain that is causing problems (Masson’s trichrome, H-DAB+Red, background from black shadows, etc), I have swapped my color vectors so that Hematoxylin has the color vector for my marker of interest. That way if there is something that is very dark in the other channel, it will be treated as “negative.” More details on that and dealing with the area issues mentioned next in this thread and the links contained within it.

Positive pixel count frequently struggles over large areas, and I strongly recommend creating annotation tiles (see tiles section) before running it, and then summing the results either in a script or in a spreadsheet program after.

Were you looking for something else for your area measurement? Or would you like to review a how to generate a simple script to summarize your measurements?

Cytokeratin tool (not exclusively for cytokeratin)

Analyze->Region identification->Create cytokeratin annotations (experimental): A fairly specific version of the positive pixel tool, but gives you annotations (already classified as Tumor and Stroma) rather than detections, so that you can run cell detection in one or the other. Does not need to be used on cytokeratin, any kind of broad background stain will work.

Downsample factor: As normal, a pure increase in pixel size. Larger values will run faster, but be less accurate.

Gaussian sigma: Blur. Increase this for smoother annotations or to increase performance due to masses of different pixel objects on screen.

Tissue threshold: Essentially the threshold for tissue versus whitespace.

Eosin/DAB threshold: Pixels above this threshold in the second deconvolved channel will be considered Positive.

Separation distance: This places a small separation between the tumor and stroma regions that are generated, which can help with half of a cell being represented in each annotation.

Just like the positive pixel tool, if you run into problems with this tool you may need to downsample and blur further, or create tile annotations first to break up the area analyzed at any one time.

Were you looking for something else for your area measurement? Or would you like to review a how to generate a simple script to summarize your measurements?

Tiles

Analyze->Region identification->Tiles & superpixels->Create tiles:

Overview: Takes an annotation area object and breaks it up into tiles.

Basic, but does the trick for simple analyses. One option is to create detections that can have measurements (Add intensity features), and then be classified. It can also be used to create annotations for various slow detection methods to work on a large scale, like positive pixel detection, sending regions to ImageJ, or creating image tiles for output for AI training/processing.

Tile size: How large each square is on a side.

Trim to ROI: Creates non-square tiles if the tile at any given position would otherwise extend outside of the parent annotation. Prevents including too much whitespace in the measurements of tiles on the edge of tissue.

Make annotation tiles: What it says. Annotation tiles can have other things generated inside of them, while detections cannot. Whether you want this depends on your final purpose. Don’t select it if you want to simply classify a bunch of tiles as positive or negative to quickly get a rough positive area measurement (or run a more complex classifier). Do check it for most other things.

Remove parent annotation: Project specific, but generally I would check this if Make annotation tiles is also checked. If you check only Make annotation tiles, and attempt to “selectAnnotations()” and run some sort of cell detection, as soon as the parent annotations is chosen, it will wipe out all Tile annotations within it. If you want tile annotations, but also want to end up with one large annotation at the end, I would check both of these, and then Objects->Merge selected annotations at some point later in the pipeline.

SLICs (Superpixels. Big Pixels.)

Analyze->Region identification->Tiles & superpixels->SLIC superpixel segmentation:

Now we get to the good stuff. This option pairs well with another tool in the same menu:

Analyze->Region identification->Tiles & superpixels->Tile classifications to annotations.

Overview: Create detection tile objects that follow the outline of similarly stained pixels. This works in both brightfield and multichannel images.

Another tiling method, but this time you only have the option of starting with detections. They follow the outline of similarly stained pixels, and are a very flexible area classification tool. Once the SLICs are classified, similarly classified areas can be merged into annotations (see short guide here), which can then be used to search for cells or other objects. The most obvious example would be determining a “Tumor vs Stroma” area in something like an H&E, or in complex images such as those generated with MIBI. Decision tree or other trainable classifiers can be used on the large number of measurements that can be applied to these through Analyze->Calculate features->Add intensity features. More information on adding features here.

Getting SLICs that work for your project is too project specific to get into, but generally for large tissue based features I prefer larger, more regular tiles, while for cell detection or positive area detection I make them as small and irregular as I can tolerate (smaller and less regular = more processing time). Also, if you are using Haralick features to analyze texture, you will need either larger tiles, or you will want to use information from surrounding areas to help classify the tile.

The buttons and knobs

Gaussian sigma: Blur. Increase this for smoother tiles or to increase performance.

Superpixel spacing: Depending on your target and classification method, this can vary quite a bit. I usually start with 50 and then lower it as I want to get more precise with the edges of what I am measuring.

Number of iterations: I usually don’t change this, and haven’t noticed a major effect by increasing it. You may be able to speed up large areas by decreasing it, but always test on a small region first to see the impact.

Regularization: Can have a massive impact on the shape of the superpixels. The value seems to be very correlated with the size of the superpixel.
For example regularization 10.

Regularization 0.01, shown with heatmap of Eosin staining to emphasize the difference.

Measurement maps + SLICs can be used to accentuate many features of the tissue, even with relatively simple measurements, as shown.

Tissue segmentation and classification with SLICs has been a fairly standard way for me to start complex projects. Classification will require the addition of new feature measurements, of which there are a variety!

Functionality will be mostly superseded by the Pixel Classifier at some point during 0.2.0m#

If you want to measure areas classified as a certain object, you can either sum the detection area measurements within classes with a script, or convert classified detections into annotations, which have an automatic area measurement.

1 Like

Subcellular detections

Analyze->Cell Analysis->Subcellular detection: Create an annotation, turn it into a cell object using a script, perform your subcellular detection. Can work better for small, oddly shaped areas. This option is primarily used for multichannel images, as stand-in for Positive pixel detection, which is brightfield only. It requires pixel size information (Image tab). This is definitely not the intended use for Subcellular detections, as it is more of a spot counter.
For the LuCa 7 channel sample (a field of view image), I would start by creating a full image annotation, then run the script linked to turn it into a cell object, followed by creating another whole image annotation (making data wrangling easier later on). So:

createSelectAllObject(true);
//Paste script in here
createSelectAllObject(true);

Ok, I was wrong, I do need to make one minor adjustment to the pasted script, as indicated in the script comments.
def targets = getObjects{return it.getLevel()!=1 && it.isAnnotation()}
needs to be changed to
def targets = getObjects{return it.isAnnotation()}

Now my hierarchy looks like this.
After playing with the settings a little, I ended up with this.

Note that this isn’t generally a good idea, and as you can see here, really didn’t do a great job of splitting some of the tumor cells. YMMV, but it is another option to try if other options aren’t working. It will take additional scripting to convert this into useful data, so expect to do a little coding if you go this route.

Multichannel

If you are here, your images should be something like a fluorescence, MIBI, CyTOF, etc. image that is composed of multiple grayscale, largely independent, channels. While QuPath doesn’t perform linear unmixing, exactly, some of the same functionality can be performed in a script to alter detection measurements that are generated. Some of the R^2 or colocalization scripts can be used to check for bleed-through.

If you have this sort of project, do you have a single field of view? Tissue of some sort? A TMA?

Single field of view

For single field of view images, you usually will want to analyze the entire image. In the Objects menu, there is an option to Create full image annotation, or in a script you can use

createSelectAllObject(true)

The true selects the object, so that whatever you run on the next line will have that object already selected. If you are running scripts multiple times on the same set of images, note that this does not clear all objects in the image in the same way that Simple Tissue Detection does. You may want to include a

clearAllObjects()

line in order to prevent many overlapping sets of objects.

What is your analysis? Are you counting cells, measuring areas, or something more complex (advanced scripting)?

Tissue detection in multichannel images

Much of this will likely be obsolete once the Pixel classifier is fully functional.

Simple tissue detection: Seems to only take into account the first channel of the image. If you can adjust your input such that this channel is DAPI, or some highly autofluorescent channel, you might be able to use Simple Tissue Detection in the same way as the brightfield instructions, only with Dark background checked.

Very likely this won’t be the case, so I recommend checking out this thread which contains both a script for, and a rough description of how to perform, tissue detection in a multichannel image.

The script is a great example of how to use ImageJ to handle some image analysis, and could be a good starting point to build off of for more complex ImageJ based analyses. I can go into more detail if there is enough interest.

Alternatively, you can fairly quickly draw areas using the brush tool or wand tool. The wand tool, in particular, can be very useful here as it takes into account what is visible on screen. That means you can turn off interfering channels, and/or enhance the brightness of useful channels, in order to make the tool more convenient to use.

What is your analysis? Are you counting cells, measuring areas, or something more complex (advanced scripting)?

Tissue Microarrays

The tissue detection script is not currently designed for TMA cores, so your best option here might be to rely on percentage positive within the TMA object ellipses, or modify the tissue detection script yourself! Other types of analyses can be run on all cores (use SLICs to define the tissue areas within cores, then create tissue annotations from the classified SLICs). Valid cores only are processed.

Counting cells

Counting cells in multichannel images is far, far easier than in brightfield counterparts, as there is usually a well defined, unobstructed, nuclear channel that can be used as the core of cell objects. Still, you have several options.

Cell detection: The normal command
Manual spots: Annotation spot tool
Subcellular detection tool: Abuse the system. Also can be used as an area measurement to detect cell-like objects. TUNEL?
Manual creation: Build cells for confocal or other high magnification images.

Cell detection

Reserved for expansion, but for now most of the measurements and their uses are the same as the brightfield cell detection description.

The only major changes are that Positive cell detection no longer works, and that your Choose detection image options consist of your various channels. If you have a fluorescent image in an RGB space, your channels 1 2 and 3 are R, G, and B. So channel 3 will most likely be your detection channel for nuclear markers such as DAPI/Hoechst.

I would definitely recommend looking at some of the concerns about cytoplasmic measurements described here if any of your channels are for cytoplasmic proteins. Membrane proteins that localize similar to HER2 are particularly problematic.

If you have multiple nuclear channels, and want to combine multiple cell detections, I recommend checking out this thread.

Definitely check out some of the classification options available!

Points tool

This currently work exactly the same in multichannel images as in brightfield.

Manual creation of cells-I have a short guide for using a detection channel to create nuclei, and then using the wand tool to paint the cytoplasms for very irregular cells at high zoom. This isn’t a great option if you have a lot of cells, but can work very well for a few cells per field at 63x.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qupath-users/ehxID096NV8/QUMpoXc_BwAJ

If you are choosing this method, you may still want to classify your cells,, generate some measurements for your cells, or you might want to skip to generating a measurement summary at the end of the scripting post.

Measuring areas

Tiles: When you quickly want a lot of squares. Good starter analysis. Create detections or annotations.

SLIC superpixel segmentation: My personal favorite due to flexibility, but requires more coding to really get the most out of it. Create detections only… at first.

Subcellular detections: Very workaroundy, and likely to attract some Pete based aggro, but annotation objects can be turned into cell objects with a script, and the resulting area can be analyzed using subcellular detections.

Much of this will likely be obsolete once the Pixel classifier is fully functional.

Tiles

Analyze->Region identification->Tiles & superpixels->Create tiles

Overview: Takes an annotation area object and breaks it up into square tiles.

Basic, but does the trick for simple analyses. One option is to create detections that can have measurements (Add intensity features), and then be classified. It can also be used to create annotations for various slow detection methods to work on a large scale, like positive pixel detection, sending regions to ImageJ, or creating image tiles for output for AI training/processing.

Tile size: How large each square is on a side.

Trim to ROI: Creates non-square tiles if the tile at any given position would otherwise extend outside of the parent annotation. Prevents including too much whitespace in the measurements of tiles on the edge of tissue.

Make annotation tiles: What it says. Annotation tiles can have other things generated inside of them, while detections cannot. Whether you want this depends on your final purpose. Don’t select it if you want to simply classify a bunch of tiles as positive or negative to quickly get a rough positive area measurement (or run a more complex classifier). Do check it for most other thigns.

Remove parent annotation: Project specific, but generally I would check this ifMake annotation tiles is also checked. If you check only Make annotation tiles, and attempt to “selectAnnotations” and run some sort of cell detection, as soon as the parent annotations is chosen, it will wipe out all annotations within it. If you want tile annotations, but also want to end up with one large annotation at the end, I would check both of these, and then Objects->Merge selected annotations at some point later in the pipeline.

You may want to add some features to your tiles, which would then let youperform a classification of some sort. Alternatively, if you have merged your tiles into new annotations by class, you may want to head back to look at cell counting options!

SLIC superpixels

(I basically stole this from the brightfield version, but I may tweak it a little bit in the future)

Analyze->Region identification->Tiles & superpixels->SLIC superpixel segmentation

Now we get to the good stuff. This option pairs well with another tool in the same menu
Analyze->Region identification->Tiles & superpixels->Tile classifications to annotations

Overview: Create detection tile objects that follow the outline of similarly stained pixels. This works in both brightfield and multichannel images.

Another tiling method, but this time you only have the option of starting with detections. They follow the outline of similarly stained pixels, and are a very flexible area classification tool. Once the SLICs are classified, similarly classified areas can be merged into annotations, which can then be used to search for cells or other objects. The most obvious example would be determining a “Tumor vs Stroma” area in something like an H&E, or in complex images such as those generated with MIBI. Decision tree or other trainable classifiers can be used on the large number of measurements that can be applied to these through Analyze->Calculate features->Add intensity features.

Getting SLICs that work for your project is too project specific to get into, but generally for large tissue based features I prefer larger, more regular tiles, while for cell detection or positive area detection I make them as small and irregular as I can tolerate (smaller and less regular = more processing time). Also, if you are using Haralick features to analyze texture, you will need either larger tiles, or you will want to use information from surrounding areas to help classify the tile.

Gaussian sigma: Blur. Increase this for smoother tiles or to increase performance.

Superpixel spacing: Depending on your target and classification method, this can vary quite a bit. I usually start with 50 and then lower it as I want to get more precise with the edges of what I am measuring.

Number of iterations: I usually don’t change this.

Regularization: Can have a massive impact on the shape of the superpixels. The value seems to be very correlated with the size of the superpixel.

Measurement maps + SLICs can be used to accentuate many features of the tissue, even with relatively simple measurements, as shown.

Classification of SLICs fairly standard way to start complex projects, but you will need to add some features to base the classification on. Functionality will be mostly superseded by the Pixel Classifier at some point during 0.2.0m#

If you want to measure areas classified as a certain object, you can either apply area measurements to them and summarize, or convert classified detections into annotations, which automatically have an area measurement.

Were you looking for something else for your area measurement? Or would you like to review a how to generate a simple script to summarize your measurements? Alternatively, if you have merged your tiles into new annotations by class, you may want to head back to look at cell counting options!

Subcellular detections

Another place where things get fun! Turning a single field of view whole image annotation into a cell allows the use of the subcellular detection command to outline areas of cytoplasmic or other stains independent of cell expansion. You can use this, essentially, like the positive pixel tool, except that it will require a bit of coding.

1. Create your whole image annotation.

2. Convert it into a cell with a script (Be sure to read how to modify the script for this purpose).

3. Run the subcellular detection on as many channels as you want, and adjust your thresholds until you are happy with the results. You can change the min and max spot size values to whatever you want, but make sure to keep the estimated spot size at 1. This makes the estimated spot count for a given channel equal to the area detected by the subcellular detection command.

4. The “cell” object will now have an estimated spot count. If you have several fields of view that are all the same size, you are essentially done, as you can compare the areas that are positive in each channel between images.

5. To get more complicated, you could then re-create the whole image annotation, add the estimated spot counts from the cell object to the annotation object (more scripting), and then run a cell detection afterwards. This will wipe out your whole image cell, but create a number of cells that could be used to normalize the area measurement. The final annotation will now have a measurement of the area covered by each channel of interest, and a count of the total number of cells.

6. Summarize the results across the project.

Classification

See the multiplex classifier thread for a lot of information on classification options that include:

Positive cell detection: Classifier and cell detection all rolled into one.

Classify->Classify by specific feature: Build your own classifier through a GUI. Very tedious for anything more than a simple classifier.

setCellIntensityClassifications(): one line script to handle simple classifications based on a single measurement. Terrible example that I have occasionally actually used in order to turn all cells “Positive” very quickly:
setCellIntensityClassifications("Nucleus: Area", 1)

Classify->Create detection classifier: Create a machine learning-based trained classifier (subsection Train a cell classifier based on annotations) by defining your own training sets and measurements. Possibly create new features for this purpose.

If/then based scripts: Create your own decision tree.

Multiplex classifier: A GUI based script that allows a set of measurements to be used to establish base classes, and then classifies all objects according to which sets of parameters they meet the thresholds for. There are a lot of resources available through that thread, but if there is any specific information you think should be included here, please message me to let me know.

Once you have a set of objects that are classified, if your process is automated you will probably want to run it across a selection of images and get some data at a project level. If you are having trouble with classifier accuracy, you might want to look into generating additional features that are more pertinent to your project.

Creating a script to run on the project

Most scripts will start in the Workflow tab, with the Create script button.

That will generate a list of commands that you have run, which you can then trim down to the ones you really need for your analysis. As long as you have an entirely automated process (no manual editing, putting down annotation Points, etc), creating a script is usually fairly straightforward. After running through some ideas for this section, I felt like a concrete example would be the best way to help understand the process.

The original TIFF image used in this post is LuCa-7color_[13860,52919]_1x1component_data.tif from Perkin Elmer, part of Bio-Formats sample data available under CC-BY 4.0.

*Stolen from Pete

Here is a list of commands I used while playing around with the LuCa multichannel image. You can see from the list that I tinkered with various watershed cell detection options, and jumped around a bit with what I was looking at. When I click Create script, I get something like this:

If I were to run this right now, it would attempt to replicate all of those commands, and I don’t really want to run 5 cell detections. I agree with my image being fluorescent, and the createSelectAllObject(true); line outlines my single field of view with an annotation object, so those are both good. In a brightfield whole slide image those lines might be replaced with something more like:

Since I have an annotation, and I know that it is selected, I then want to run my final cell detection command (assuming I was improving my cell detection each time!).

Now I have something like this:

Note: On Windows based systems, the file path needs to be written with double backslashes. In 0.1.2, you may need to edit this manually.

Looking at the rest, I don’t want to clearAllObjects() right in the middle of my script! So I will definitely remove that. I also have a random createSelectAllObject() at the end of the script that I don’t need. I would like to run the trained classifier, however, so I will keep that. I also want to see cluster measurements, so I will keep that line as well. Come to think of it, if I want to run this project multiple times, I will not want to keep adding objects on top of objects, so I should really place one of those lines near the top. Think of all of these lines as LEGO building blocks, and you want to add them all in the correct order. I also want to run my cluster analysis AFTER I have classified my cells! So I will move that to the bottom.

Now I get something a little bit more like I would want when I run the whole script:

However, I also want to extract some annotation level data from each of the images in my project!

If I go to Measurements:

And look at my annotation measurements (in 0.1.3), I get something like this:

If I were in 0.1.2, I would insert a script like this at the end of my current script in order to add percentage positive and cell density measurements per classification to the parent annotation.

For now, though, these measurements will do for the demo. Now we turn to some of Pete’s scripts from his blog. The first script we add to the end of any script we want to run for the project.

This script creates a new folder within the project folder to store a text file for the current image.

With the combined script, we can now Run for project

And select all of the files that we want. This only makes sense if your files are all similar :slight_smile:

Now I have a selection of text files in an “annotation results” folder. Well, that’s not really what I wanted, I wanted a single file where I can peruse all of my image data at once! Pete has also provided a script for this here.

Copy that into a new script window and run it, targeting the annotation results folder within your project.

If you never modify the first, single file, script that writes everything to the annotation results folder, you can make a one line change to prevent the popup and navigation. It will assume that all of your individual text files are in the default location within the project as defined in the script above.

Swap this line:

def dirResults = QuPathGUI.getSharedDialogHelper().promptForDirectory()

For this line:

def dirResults = new File(buildFilePath(PROJECT_BASE_DIR, 'annotation results'))

Now if you look in your annotation results folder, you should have a Combined_results.txt file that can be opened in pretty much any spreadsheet program!

WARNING: Run for project… does not appear to edit the image that is currently open, even if that image is one of the images included in the run. However, it IS editing that data file in the background. As such, QuPath will see that the data file has been edited (without showing you any of the changes on the screen) and will ask you if you want to save your data. The correct answer to this is usually NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. If you select yes, you will be overwriting the results of the Run for project… with the data currently visible on screen.

That’s it! You made it! Well. Maybe. I wrote most of this in a day, so I am certain there will be glaring errors and gaps (above and beyond the ones I am already aware of :frowning: !!) that may prevent this guide from being as useful as it could be. Feel free to start a topic or send me a message and I will try to clarify or fix up as much as I can. I have also toyed with the idea of keeping one consistent image throughout most of the steps, so that everyone could follow along with their own copy… but time, time, time.

I will definitely be adding a section on the Pixel classifier once that is fully functional, but for now I am avoiding that and the alignment tool, among others.

Good luck with all of your analysis!