Problem with remote access from windows

cellprofiler

Hi,
Thank you again for providing these wonderful tools and sharing them with us.
I have been running and extending Cell Profiler in a linux machine and I now have trouble accessing it from a remote windows machine. I am using Reflection X, in a windows XP machine. When I connect to the linux server, and run matlab, the fonts and matlab windows appear to be very large.
I guess this has to do with matlab support of X windows. Do you have any experience?

thanks
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I don’t have experience with Reflection X, so I can’t comment on that (but my guess is that you’re correct about X).

But I have used software called VNC successfully for years to access my desktops (including Matlab and CellProfiler) which are faithfully reproduced. Check out: realvnc.com/. VNC is cross-platform for Linux, Mac, and Windows, your case of Windows to Linux will work. You can also tunnel the connection through SSH for security purposes, which of course is recommended, and may be required depending on your firewall restrictions.

I have no connection to RealVNC, just a happy user. There are other solutions, some of which may be faster, but I have found VNC to be a reasonable, and quick-to-setup, solution to my remote desktop needs.

David

Hello Sarah,

Check your configuration “display and Video”.
In my case, windows was too big or too small.
I fix it with configuration “display and Video” and “window manager”.
natif by default -> natif.
(On Exceed)
Size is ok now.
You have then to configure module’s directory on Preferences to see modules when you want to add a module.

Marie Laure

Thank you David and Marie. I have just installed VNC and it works beautifully.

Sarah Hu

Hello,

In my case, I have now a problem about loading modules.
When I click to add, all of the GUI crash.
Have you an idea of what to do ?
Thank you very much for your help.

Marie Laure

Hello Marie,

Do you mean CP crashes only through a remote desktop? Apologies if this is too obvious, but try restarting CP and/or your computer. Is this the Developer’s version or pre-compiled? Does the terminal or Matlab window provide any feedback (e.g. error messages, etc)?

David

Hello David,

Thank you for your answers.

I use the source Cellprofiler.m compiled by myself. (RedHat)
As I said, I select a module on the GUI. I click to add, and every GUI crashe.

Here is the error generated by the GUI scrach :

@tlpl08 Compile]$ ./CellProfiler
??? Error using ==> fgets
Invalid file identifier. Use fopen to generate a valid file identifier.

Error in ==> CellProfiler>PutModuleInListBox at 6970

Error in ==> CellProfiler>AddModuleListBox_Callback at 10255

Error in ==> CellProfiler>gui_mainfcn at 11151

Error in ==> CellProfiler at 56

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error’
what(): basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid
Abandon

@tlpl08 Compile]$

Marie Laure

Hi Marie,

Are you still getting this error, or the ones here: CellProfiler on Linux ? Have you tried running ./run_CellProfiler.sh?

David