Problem With Plugins - Graphics - Plot Table Columns

I’m using ImageJ with Astronomy plugins for creating variable star light curves from a time series of images. BTW: we’re opting not to use AIJ for ease of use for novice students, and basically, this package can work wonders!

Everything works fine until I try to plot the output. The problem is that the dialog box is too large for my screen, and I have not found a way to scroll up to get to the top of the form, nor down, to get to the “OK” button.

Here’s the entire vertical range I can access – no way to get to the X values at the top, nor the options at the bottom:

I’m using IJ version 1.51d, with Astronomy plugins Version 2011-NOV-10. Computer is running Win 10 on a Toshiba satellite S55-A5295, in case that matters. This same software package works fine for a colleague using a Mac, but I can’t access to top & bottom of the input dialog box. I’ve tried changing my monitor resolution and using a cascade display, but so far, nothing has worked.

Welcome to the forum @BPVietje!

Others may have other suggestions, but I don’t see an easy way rather than asking the author to 1) implement scrollbars in the dialog; 2) split the dialog in two multiple prompts; or 3) use newer ImageJ2 capabilities, namely @Parameter notation, that will automatically generate scrollable prompts.

For 1), you can point him/her to this code from Fiji, on how to implement it so that the dialog remains fully functional, and macro recordable. Or better, invite the author to this forum, so that he/she can contribute to this discussion.

Meanwhile you could try one of the following workarounds:

1. Enable full keyboard navigation in the accessibility settings of your OS (typically shift tab and tab, or a related combination), and maybe you can still navigate the prompt

2. Turn on the macro Recorder, run the problematic plugin, change the options that you can see, press Enter. The recorder will generate a line of code that is organized as follows:
    A single lowercase sentence in which arguments are separated by a space. Input fields and choice lists appear as keyword=value pairs, active checkboxes by a single keyword.

By tweaking the recorded sentence, you should be able to generate macros that you can use to control the plugin. If you save them as .ijm files in a directory named “Graphics” in the plugins directory, they will appear as regular IJ commands, next to the “Plot Table Columns”, entry (I am assuming that is where your plugin resides).

2 Likes

Thank you, tferr – I see I have a LOT to learn about macros!

I did try the macro record idea, just so I could see what was happening behind the scenes. What to do with that report is another matter, and may take a good deal of study on my part.

FWIW, here’s the file I got as a result – first as a screen shot (I hope), then as a Notebook file, if all goes well:

Hmmpf: Can’t seem to attach the .txt file.

Not sure if this info gives you any ideas, but I understand it’s not on your shoulders to solve this, either!

Thank you kindly,

Brad Vietje
Newbury, VT

1 Like

So, let’s say this was the line produced by the Recorder:

run("Plot Table Columns", "table=Measurements x-data=ratio1 y-data=ratio2 operator=none y-operator=[ ] marker=box color=black connect plot_y-data_in_relative_mmag");

You would save that line (use the Recorder’s Create button) in a file named e.g., My_Call_Plot_Table_Columns.ijm and place it in the the ImageJ plugins/Graphics/ directory. Upon restart (or running Help>Refresh Menus), you will find a new command in Plugins>Graphics> named after the saved file. Now, every time you run My Call Plot Table Columns you’ll be running the Plot Table Columns plugin with the parameters specified by the Recorder without having to display the problematic dialog…
You can of course, repeat this procedure multiple times in order to obtain multiple customized commands, each specifying different parameters:
E.g., for a table named “Results”, with columns “Col1”, “Col2”, you would generate a new file containing something like:

run("Plot Table Columns", "table=Results x-data=Col1 y-data= Col2 operator=none y-operator=[ ] marker=box color=black connect plot_y-data_in_relative_mmag");

Your macro could be made much more sophisticated, with a dialog of its own. If you really need, it could be tweaked until it becomes a functional mirror of the original plugin dialog, but I would really refrain from it. This solution is an interim hack, that will probably help you but it is very unlikely to help others in the future. The best approach is really to contact the authors of the plugin, and ask them to fix the problem (they may not even be aware of it), by proposing the solutions mentioned above.

1 Like