OpenSPIM objective lens leak

Hello Image.sc community,

I currently have an OpenSPIM setup that’s been having an issue of water leakage inside the objective. The chamber is self-made as described in the OpenSPIM table of parts, and the objective lens is water-immersion. Has anyone else run into water leaks, or know of any solutions to prevent this? I am considering a silicone waterproof seal on the objective, since it needs to be immersed overnight for developmental imaging.

Best,
Brian

Hi Brian,

You say you use a water immersion lens, I assume you mean a dipping lens? That is designed to image the sample directly through water with no glass in between. I would normally class a water immersion lens to be one where it is corrected to image through a cover glass but the immersion medium placed on the lens is water. If you’re using a dipping lens, its actually water getting into the objective housing itself or you mean its getting around the lens and therefore leaking out of the chamber to the surroundings? Water immersion lenses are not designed to be fully immersed as dipping lenses are. Sorry maybe its just the wording i’m being pedantic over.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

Hello Matt,

It is a water dipping lens, thank you for correcting me. The water is getting into the objective housing itself, and bits of moisture was distorting the light sheet.

• Brian

Hi Brian,

I had a feeling you were going to say that. Is it worth engaging with the manufacturer? They may say just buy a new one but at the end of the day if it hasn’t been dropped and its only been bathed in water it shouldn’t be leaking. As for sealing it not entirely sure, as you say either some kind of sealant on top if you know where its leaking from or perhaps you can partly dismantle and make a more robust seal but the dipping lenses always look pretty impenetrable-on purpose given their application.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

This is quite late, but thank you for your reply.

We spoke to the manufacturer and opted to use a 100% silicone seal around the points of entry. So far it has been working for long term imaging without leaks.

1 Like