Open Images or Add images does not work in Q0.1.2 anymore

Hi,
we have an old QuPath 0.1.2 projekt.
Then we updated to QuPath 0.2m10, opened the project, edited an image saved and closed.

Since then, Q0.1.2 does not work anymore. We deleted both versions 0.2m10 and Q0.1.2 and reinstalled Q0.1.2.
But the old project can not load images anymore.
Even a completedly new project does not allow to add images.
This is the message, QuPath throws:
CannotOpen Project

does someone have an idea what we can do to rescue our work?

Best
DC

How did you open the v0.1.2 project in v0.2.0-m10?
This should not be directly possible: Migration from qupath v0.1.2 to 0.2.0 M10

Also, the log message should be more informative than the error dialog. I’m also not clear which version of QuPath you’re referring to in the screenshot?

Hi Pete,

thanks for your answer.
It is version 0.1.2.
My colleague say´s she never opened the proejct with 0.2m10. But after start of the software, she was asked if she wants to update. She clicked “Yes”. Afterwards, nothing could be opened anymore, also not with the old version. After deinstallation of all QuPath software and reinstallation of QuPath 0.1.2, the problem is still there. We can create a brand new project, but we can not load any images.

The log’s last entry is:
ERROR: C:\Program Files\QuPath\app\QuPathApp.jar;qupath/qupath-core-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-core-awt-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-core-processing-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-core-processing-awt-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-extension-ij-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-extension-input-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-extension-opencv-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-extension-openslide-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-extension-pen-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-extension-script-editor-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-gui-fx-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-processing-ij-0.1.2.jar;qupath/qupath-processing-opencv-0.1.2.jar;jars/commons-math3-3.6.1.jar;jars/controlsfx-8.40.12.jar;jars/flowless-0.4.5.jar;jars/groovy-2.4.7.jar;jars/groovy-jsr223-2.4.7.jar;jars/gson-2.8.0.jar;jars/ij-1.51g.jar;jars/jfxtras-common-8.0-r5.jar;jars/jfxtras-menu-8.0-r5.jar;jars/jinput-2.0.6.jar;jars/jpen-2-150301.jar;jars/jutils-1.0.0.jar;jars/logback-classic-1.1.7.jar;jars/logback-core-1.1.7.jar;jars/opencv-3.1.0.jar;jars/openslide-3.4.1_2.jar;jars/packager.jar;jars/reactfx-2.0-M4u1.jar;jars/richtextfx-0.6.10.jar;jars/slf4j-api-1.7.20.jar;jars/undofx-1.2.jar;jars/wellbehavedfx-0.1.1.jar
ERROR: Project: Import images: TextArea@74e1742[styleClass=text-input text-area]
INFO: Unable to import 1 paths:
C:\Users\Melanie Maulhardt\Desktop\RCC-TA-001.001~B.svs

INFO: Setting JVM option -Xmx10240M

this is the rest of the log, but probably all after reinstallation:

INFO: Selected style: Modena Light
INFO: Performing update check…
INFO: Starting QuPath with parameters:
INFO: Project set to Project: proTest
ERROR: Checking Big TIFF images currently not supported!!!
WARN: Error opening C:\Users\Melanie Maulhardt\Desktop\RCC-TA-001.001~B.svs with ImageJ: Could not open C:\Users\Melanie Maulhardt\Desktop\RCC-TA-001.001~B.svs with ImageJ
ERROR: Could not load OpenSlide native library
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1857)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:870)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1122)
at org.openslide.OpenSlideJNI.(OpenSlideJNI.java:55)
at org.openslide.OpenSlide.(OpenSlide.java:53)
at qupath.lib.images.servers.OpenslideImageServer.(OpenslideImageServer.java:91)
at qupath.lib.images.servers.OpenslideServerBuilder.buildServer(OpenslideServerBuilder.java:51)
at qupath.lib.images.servers.ImageServerProvider.buildServer(ImageServerProvider.java:115)
at qupath.lib.projects.Project.addImage(Project.java:122)
at qupath.lib.gui.commands.ProjectImportImagesCommand$1.call(ProjectImportImagesCommand.java:138)
at qupath.lib.gui.commands.ProjectImportImagesCommand$1.call(ProjectImportImagesCommand.java:130)
at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1423)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
ERROR: Unable to build whole slide server - check your classpath for a suitable library (e.g. OpenSlide, BioFormats)

and i deleted the two folders
.javacpp
.openjfx

because they had the same creation date like the update of m10.
After reinstallation, the did not come back.

Anyhow, the error message did not change. So I guess that is not the reason for the ongoing problem.

Reinstalling usually won’t help, but resetting the preferences sometimes does.

However I can see no reason why simply clicking “yes” to the update dialog would have any impact whatsoever on the existing project.

The underlying problem in the second error message is that OpenSlide won’t load, and that’s why no images can be opened. I don’t know why this is happening, or if there is something else on the system blocking OpenSlide (permissions, some other conflicting application).

(I recall once having installed some completely different (proprietary) application, which put native libraries in a place where it shouldn’t and this broke TensorFlow for me… but I haven’t seen anything break QuPath that way.)

ok. Sounds complicated.
We descided to reintall the whole computer. hopefully that helps.

Finally to restart the computer helped! Everything works.

2 Likes