Open FLIM File Format

Browsing the OME website in search of an open file format for FLIM data which I could use for my own application, I ended up on this page:

which lists a gazillion formats (which it would be nice to be able to sort according to the different categories…), the “greenest” one being, of course, the OME ones (OME-TIFF and OME-XML).
Notwithstanding the absence of a working link to OME-TIFF specification docs on that page (but the actual specs can be found here: The OME-TIFF format — OME Data Model and File Formats 6.2.0 documentation), I am wondering whether the community could chip in on their favorite FLIM file format (open, not linked to a specific vendor, as I am using custom instruments).

The OME-XML specification page seems to have been last updated in 2016… but the reason is explained in an unrelated page: The OME-XML format — OME Data Model and File Formats 6.2.0 documentation, so OME-TIFF seems to be the way to go. However, I am unclear how FLOAT images would be stored in such a format (e.g. phase and modulus data for a phasor image),

Hi @smXplorer,
I don’t work with FLIM data myself but I know that Ian Munro at Imperial College has done a lot of work in that area and they produced the FLIMfit package which interacts with OMERO. See: https://flimfit.org
Maybe there’s something in there for what you need?

Also, there is a large effort to develop a next generation container for storing image files under the tag #ome-ngff in this forum. It would be useful to provide your input to that effort to make sure such a future storage format/container is appropriate to store FLIM data.
Cheers,
Damir

Thanks for the pointers.

1 Like

Also see the Modulo annotation which can be used to split the “C” dimension into subdimensions, so you can add separate “phase” and “modulus” channels this way. At the Image/Pixels level you set SizeC=2 and then split the two into 1xphase and 1xmodulus with the annotation.

2 Likes

OK, thanks. I’ll start from here.