OMERO.web systemd file is missing PATH

Thank you for this release! It must have been a lot of work!

I was wondering something though: is it expected behaviour that OMERO.web does not set the path for gunicorn?
If I use this systemd service, no PID file is created.
But if I add this:

Environment="PATH=/opt/omero/web/venv3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin"

then, it works.

That looks like a bug, I’ve opened an issue:

I’ve just noticed that a similar bug occurred with OMERO.server: on a CentOS server, where Ice can easily be installed, I did not have to change the PATH as I had previously done on a Debian server, but I recently noticed that “Processor-0” was “inactive” / “disabled” there (and not on Debian).
Adding the virtualenv to the PATH solved this issue.

However, I’m now wondering if it’s normal for “Dropbox”, “FileServer” and “MonitorServer” to be disabled…

Hi @pierre.pouchin,

are the failing for the same PATH-related reason? If so, it sounds like this issue is effecting all of your Python processes.

~J.

Hi!

Editing the PATH in the main OMERO systemd unit file solved the issue for “Processor-0” but not for Dropbox, Fileserver and MonitorServer. So I think I have some other unrelated problem on both my Debian et CentOS servers if these should be running by default.

Edit: I haven’t tried configuring Dropbox this time as I’m not using it for now, so maybe they should indeed appear as disabled if I don’t install “omero-dropbox”?
I suppose MonitorServer is related to Dropbox, but is FileServer?

Hi Pierre

Could you copy the output of omero diagnostics for CentOS and Debian?

We have tested systemd using Docker container but we did not notice the problem you are describing.

Cheers

Jmarie

Of course.

Here is the output of omero diagnostics for each OS:
centos-diag.txt (3.3 KB)
debian-diag.txt (4.5 KB)

For reference, here are the systemd unit files I now use:
centos-systemd.txt (761 Bytes)
debian-systemd.txt (661 Bytes)

As you can see, because of Ice, I had to define several variables for Debian, including the PATH, so I included them in a separate file (here: debian-env.txt (304 Bytes) ).
In CentOS case though, I had only set up “OMERODIR” in the systemd unit file initially. Changing the PATH there to include the virtualenv solved my issue.

Hi Pierre

Thanks for submitting the files.

We have also adjusted the system file in the latest version that went out yesterday following your feedback

Cheers

Jmarie

1 Like