Need a workflow for contributing

Dear CP team,

I would like to contribute code and fix some lack of functionality and also, play around a bit. I’m not a hardcore software developers as you guys, so for me your descriptions how to start are unfortunately not satisfactory and slightly frustrating. I have forked CP on github and cloned the repo locally. Now, how do I start when I want to add, say, a new measurement approach to measureimageintensity.py? Do I have to compile the whole thing each time I want to try out the code? Please give me some some information on how to start, but for dummies. I use CellProfiler a lot for all kinds of things, and will publish in the next months. I have a lot of ideas but I don’t have the time to get so much into detail to become like you.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,
Till

I would it boil down to the following:

• Installing Python and the associated libraries:
    Directions for each OS here: wingware.com/) as our debugger of choice, but as Python code is just text, you are free to use any editor you wish. The CellProfiler code can be run from the command line at any point using:python CellProfiler.pyAnd to compile it from the command line:python CellProfiler.py --build-and-exit

Also, thanks for pointing out where our developers’ wiki needs improvement. Whatever recommendations you have, I see about incorporating them into the wiki
-Mark