Module:MeasureImageGranularity

Dear CPForum,
I’m working on a project using cellProfiler to discover important morphologic features from micrscopic images of cancer specimens. One set of features that looks very interesting (based on our analysis) are the Granularity features – particularly granularity5 and granularity4. Based on the CP manual and the listed references I was able to find (in English), I’m having a bit of difficulty understanding what these features are measuring. My question is could you provide further explanation of what the granularity features are measuring and also what was the motivation for inclusion in CP?

Many Thanks,
Andy Beck

The Mathworks has a good page about granularity: mathworks.com/products/image … xsnow.html. Measuring the granularity spectrum allows you to determine the size distribution of objects in an image without segmenting them first. The “4” and “5” that you mention are radii along the granularity spectrum that we measure in CP- basically, different sizes of objects that occur in the image. The fact that these features are important could mean that your cells contain texture (speckles perhaps) of that size.

For more information on granularity, check out:
J.Serra, Image Analysis and Mathematical Morphology, Vol. 1. Academic Press, London, 1989
Maragos,P. “Pattern spectrum and multiscale shape representation”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 11, N 7, pp. 701-716, 1989
L.Vincent “Granulometries and Opening Trees”, Fundamenta Informaticae, 41, No. 1-2, pp. 57-90, IOS Press, 2000.
L.Vincent “Morphological Area Opening and Closing for Grayscale Images”, Proc. NATO Shape in Picture Workshop, Driebergen, The Netherlands, pp. 197-208, 1992.
I.Ravkin, V.Temov “Bit representation techniques and image processing”, Applied Informatics, v.14, pp. 41-90, Finances and Statistics, Moskow, 1988 (in Russian)

More explanation here: CellProfiler Granularity Measurements