MM2.0 quit and won't start anymore

Hi community.
I’ve succesfully used MM1.4 and MM2.0gamma (last version 20200324) since many years and never had an issue like this before:

Last Monday I had a session for several hours and had left everything on for a coffee break. I came back and wanted to continue with next sample, and nothing worked. MM2 was totally frozen and I had to quit it from Task Manager (64bit Win10). In itself nothing spectacular BUT that it does not start anymore is. When launching I get the ImageJ main bar and nothing else.

Typical procedure follows: make a back-up copy of the installation on external drive, remove and reinstall the software. No change, still only the IJ bar appears, although that seems to be functional. It says JAVA 1.8.0_152 which is different from the Java on my PC (271).

Really standing on the hose now, anyone ideas?

Cheers,

m

1 Like

Same problem here for 2 days now.
I uninstall everything (MM2.0, Fiji and Java) and reinstall everything no success.
After that I create a new user account (administrator, using windows 10) on the pc and there MM2.0 launches. You can then put back your profiles and load the configuration again but I still lost part of the configuration.
Would be happy to hear if someone has another solution to make it run without creating a new user account (which brings other kind of problems later on such as need to reinstall pClamp completely etc…)

Cheers

Ah,

sounds like it could be a win-bug. Checkcheck…

m

Dr. Mika Ruonala
Image Computing & Information Technologies
Kapersburgstraße 12 60437 Frankfurt Germany
Tel: +4961015961663
Mob: +491797336594
www.icit.bio

julien dine
January 7

Same problem here for 2 days now.
I uninstall everything (MM2.0, Fiji and Java) and reinstall everything no success.
After that I create a new user account (administrator, using windows 10) on the pc and there MM2.0 launches. You can then put back your profiles and load the configuration again but I still lost part of the configuration.
Would be happy to hear if someone has another solution to make it run without creating a new user account (which brings other kind of problems later on such as need to reinstall pClamp completely etc…)

Cheers

Julien.
your hint was correct: under a new standard user all works, I can also load the existing hw profiles without a problem.

An explanation and a fix, anyone?

m

Hi Mika,
Glad it worked :slight_smile: but I’d also like to have a way to fix it on the old user account to avoid to have to set up everything again

Do I understand correctly that the Micro-Manager splash window (where you select the user profile and hardware configuration file) never show up? If so, then ImageJ fails to launch the Micro-Manager plugin. You can try launching it manually, by selection it from the ImageJ plugins menu. That likely will also fail. You could see if the code produces a Corelog file (a file with the appropriate date in the Corelogs directory with the Micro-Manager directory). If so, it should contain a stack trace indicating what exactly is going wrong.

However, the only thing that persists on a single Windows user account is the Micro-Manager profile directory. It is located in the User’s “home” Directory, in “AppData” (note this is a hidden directory, and you will need to make it visible first), “Local/Micro-Manager/UserProfiles”. You can (temporarily) move that directory elsewhere to see if that makes a difference.

Dear Nico,

Thanks for the tip, this worked and made my day!

I transferred the complete folder with MM UserProfiles to a third disc and MM could start normally. It also re-populated the UserProfiles folder again. I don’t have any other than Default user profile but perhaps Julian could test if after successful launch with empty folder one can bring the old user profiles back.

Cheers,

Mika

1 Like

Nice! If you still have the “faulty” user profile, it would be great if you could email me a copy. Issues like this crop up regularly and are very difficult to trouble shoot. I would love to reproduce the issue so that I can change the code to at least have Micro-Manager start up.

Sure,

I just need your email…seems to gotten lost during the years.

m

Hi guys,

I also tried Nico’s solution and it did work as well for me. I can access again MM on the old user account and I loaded all my configuration successfully.
Thanks So much for your help Nico, you saved me a lot of troubles!

Cheers

1 Like

Had the same problem after moving from a december 2020 build to today’s build.
I could have access to the splash window and select my config profil, but then nothing happened.
I had to remove the folder User\AppData\Local\Micro-Manager\UserProfiles, now it works :slight_smile:

I can also send the Default_User-0000…json file to @nicost if needed.

You prompted me to look at it. I found a work-around, and tonight’s build (and later) will attempt to read the backup profile and if that fails too, create a new one, rather than stop working in such an ugly way;)

Code changes: Studio: Catches profile read exception and attempts to read backup profile. by nicost · Pull Request #1086 · micro-manager/micro-manager · GitHub