Microvilli density measure

Hi! I need help, if possible.

Firstly I will analyze fish intestinal samples by transmission electron microscopy with objective to measure the density of the microvilli. In several articles it is mentioned the use of ImageJ to make this analysis, but they are not clear.

I saw this in one of them: Briefly, micrographs were converted to 8-bit, and the ratio of white / black (i.e., foreground / background) was calculated to give a microvilli density measure (arbitrary units [a.u.]).

Can anybody help me? Thanks

1 Like

Greetings,
It would help if you could send a reference image, please. There are many ways to do many different things in Fiji/ImageJ so we wouldn’t have to try all of them.
Thanks,
Bob

Hi! I do not have pictures of my work yet, but I will send an article that I am basing.

Sem%20t%C3%ADtulo

Below are the names of some articles that have the methodology:

A Comparison of the Beneficial Effects of Live and Heat-Inactivated Baker’s Yeast on Nile
Tilapia: Suggestions on the Role and Function of the Secretory Metabolites Released from
the Yeast
Chao Ran☯, Lu Huang☯, Zhi Liu, Li Xu, Yalin Yang, Philippe Tacon, Eric Auclair,
Zhigang Zhou

Beneficial effects of tuna hydrolysate in poultry by-product meal diets on growth, immune response, intestinal health and disease resistance to Vibrio harveyi in juvenile barramundi, Lates calcarifer
Muhammad A.B. Siddika, Janet Howiesona, Ravi Fotedara

The effect of feeding a novel multistrain yeast fraction on European seabass (Dicentrachus labrax) intestinal health and growth performance
Mark D. Rawling, Nicola Pontefract, Ana Rodiles, Ilektra Anagnostara, Eric Leclercq, Marion Schiavone, Mathieu Castex, Daniel L. Merrifield.

@vickdaitx

Just brush up on Segmenting in ImageJ… These links should help:

They are most likely just setting a simple threshold and that’s how they get the ratio (object/background). You’ll want to useAuto-Thresholding methods - to be more reproducible/robust. Just go through the Segmentation workshop linked above to get you started…

This is my first experience with ImageJ. I’ll look at these materials.

Thank you.

1 Like

@vickdaitx
No worries! Once you go through those links… you’ll be more comfortable with ImageJ. And once you get your images - we can help you again with processing… :slight_smile:

That is good! Thanks for your help :blush: