Measuring retinal angiogenesis using Skeletonize & AnalyzeSkeleton plugins

Hello all!

I want to analyze the image below by first binarizing it and then using the Skeletonize and Analyzeskeleton plugins developed by @iarganda

8:5:19 onh.bmp (1.0 MB)

I then want to do the same procedure on subsequent images after stimulus X and compare them to the original image in order to see if any change has occurred. I was planning on comparing number of branches and sum of the length of all skeletons.

My question is whether this method is valid or if this images like these are too complex to get an accurate and consistent reading for this method.

A follow up question I have is: Do y’all have a method for measuring angiogenesis that you recommend?

Thank you!

Hello @Mario and welcome to the forum!

It seems like a first good approach to the problem depending on the quality of the skeleton you achieve. You will have to judge that.

I’m not an expert on that, but I see there are several options in ImageJ, including this Angiogenesis Analyzer.

1 Like

By quality of skeleton do you mean whether I think the skeleton matches the binarized image well or not?
or is there a more objective way of being able to tell that a skeleton is high quality?

Thanks!

I meant if the skeleton was more or less at the center of your binary images and didn’t have many small branches due to uneven object borders/surface.

Awesome - I’m very new to the world of image analysis so I really appreciate the help!

1 Like