MCRInstaller fails on Windows 7 64-bit machine

We recently upgraded from XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. I was trying to get CP1 up and running again. I was hoping the 64-bit Vista MCRInstaller was going to work, but I get two errors upon installation and was hoping someone might have some pointers to fix the issues. CP1 r9717 fails to launch with the errors.

Upon installation of the Vista 64-bit MCRInstaller, I get 2 .dll files that fail to register:

Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v710\runtime\win64\mwcommgr.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147023782. Contact your support personnel.

Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v710\runtime\win64\mwcomutil.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147023782. Contact your support personnel.

I tried to force them to register outside of the installer using regsvr32 but no luck.

Any suggestions for getting this up and running again? Thanks a lot.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, MCRs from the various Windows platforms can’t be interchanged. If you have access to the Windows 7 version of MATLAB, you can try compiling and building the software from the developer code. We can explore the possibility as well, though from what I’ve seen from comments on the Mathworks site, it’s a non-trivial issue.

CP2.0 does work on Windows 7 out of the box, but we currently have only packaged it for 32-bit Windows. However, we are working on porting it to x64 systems, so we will announce that release once it’s complete.

Regards,
-Mark

I don’t know that it will help, but you should at least try the most updated MCRs on our website. Yours are currently v 7.10, but our latest MCRs are v 7.11

I don’t have easy access to a Windows 7 machine right now, but can you try right-clicking the CP .exe file -> Properties, Compatibility tab, and try emulating other Windows flavors? Is there a 32/64 bit choice? Most likely this won’t work, but it’s worth a shot.

David

Thanks for the replies. Instead of troubleshooting or recompiling, I ended up “downgrading” our analysis machine from Windows 7 x64 to XP x64. Problem solved. In case anyone is interested, the mwcomutil.dll and mwcommgr.dll fail to register due to some missing dependencies. One dependency is from Internet Explorer (odd), and the other from the Visual C++ 2005 Runtime installation. I fixed both dependencies but CP1 still crashed. Emulating didn’t work either. All the MCRs on the main download page seem to be v7.10, so I didn’t have a chance to try the v7.11. Crazy that Mathworks makes it so hard to get their runtime libraries. So, off goes Windows 7 and on goes XP x64.

I can’t wait to see the x64 python version. I think the decision to move away from Matlab to python is a brilliant one.

We’ve started a new imaging project and have been running fairly memory intensive pipelines that end up consuming about 2.5 gigs of RAM at peak CP1 memory usage. We use SpeedUpCellProfiler multiple times in our pipelines, but are dealing with extremely large images with very small features that we want to quantify. That pretty much eliminates any x32 architecture.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

-Jeff