Lots of crashes/BSOD on windows 7

I’ve been using micro-manager for almost 2 years now, and have developed scripts for acquiring and analyzing images for my experiments. In the last few weeks, I’ve been seeing more and more micro-manager crashes and BSODs.

Today alone I’ve had at least 5 Micro-manager crashes and 4 BSODs, all while running the same script in micro-manager. Mostly they happen at the end of the script, when the data is saved.

I’m not sure where to start with analyzing the problem - I’ve looked at the blue screen logs, they all involve ntoskrnl.exe (presumably the kernel process), and some also highlight hal.dll (hardware abstraction layer)

I’ve also looked at the core logs from micro-manager, but couldn’t find anything. Am I correct in thinking that the core logs come from the C++ part of micro-manager? When I’ve seen the crashes, often there is a system dialogue saying something about Java Virtual Machine encountering an error, so this may be why there’s nothing in the core logs. core_dumps.zip (154.1 KB)

For completeness, I include my script and the Java class I use for processing the images. These run fine 80% of the time, and although I’ve had various bugs while developing them, I can’t attribute these crashes to anything in particular. scripts.zip (4.7 KB)

Any help or advice in further troubleshooting the problem, or best practice for my scripts is much appreciated!

Hi Will,

Unfortunately those log files don’t seem to have any useful information. Probably the best thing to do is go to “help → Report Problem …” and see if you can generate a problem report that recreates the issue you are seeing.

Also, usually when Micro-Manager crashes it will save an “hs_err_{xxxx}.txt” file in the installation directory that may indicate the cause of the crash.

–Nick