Isues with landmarks on moving image

I am having issues with landmarks showing up in the moving image. They appear to be present, but I don’t see them under certain circumstances. This may be due to a video card issue on an early 2011 Macbook Pro. The issue shows up in Mac OS 10.13.6 and Windows 7 Pro on the same laptop.

-If I create one Landmark on the fixed image and then one on the moving image and do this back and forth, everything works fine.
-if I use ctrl-left click to put a landmark on both images I only see it on the fixed image. It appears to be on the moving image, but I just don’t see it displayed. The landmark is checked in the table indicating that it is recorded in both images.
-if I click 5 point on the fixed image and then 5 point on the moving image, points 0 and 1are swapped on the moving image (based on the labels). I can move them to the correct location but the warping doesn’t work correctly.
-if I create a matrix of landmarks, or save and load landmarks, they never visually show up on the moving image, but appear to be there, just not displayed.

I’ll try on a higher end workstation tomorrow. If this is a known issue on older machines, please let me know. Thanks -Patrick

Hi Patrick (@Pverd),

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for reporting this. This sounds more likely to be either a software bug or data problem than a rendering (hardware / os ) issue.

It would help if you could attach / provide an example of saved landmarks that show this problem.

It’s possible that if you’re adding landmarks in the “wrong way” (see “order of landmark clicking” below), then bigwarp will create a wrong transformation, which can and will cause problems with how and where moving points are rendered.

I have some follow up questions:

Is your Fiji up-to-date?
What is the pixel spacing (calibration) of the images you’re using?

if I use ctrl-left click to put a landmark on both images I only see it on the fixed image. It appears to be on the moving image, but I just don’t see it displayed.

When you do this, which window (fixed or moving) did you click in? You say that a point is added to the moving image in the table - is the location correct?

if I create a matrix of landmarks, or save and load landmarks, they never visually show up on the moving image, but appear to be there, just not displayed.

This is probably related.

Order of landmark clicking

if I click 5 point on the fixed image and then 5 point on the moving image, points 0 and 1are swapped on the moving image (based on the labels). I can move them to the correct location but the warping doesn’t work correctly.

It’s a little unclear what you mean here, but I’m pretty sure I know what’s happening.
Right now, if you click five points in one image:
(1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 )
you need to click points in the next image in the order:
(5 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 ).
Because the default behavior is that you add points to the currently highlighted row in the landmark table, and after clicking your first 5 points, the 5th row of the table is highlighted.

You can alternatively do:
(1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5) in one image window
Then click row 1 in the landmark table window.
Then do (1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 ) in the other image window.

John