Issue with updates and reverting to previous versions with Fiji

So I’ve been having issues were certain Fiji behavior seems to change and breaks a script that I’ve made. I’m assuming this is because of automated updates.

So I want to go back a couple versions and turn off updates so I’'m using a stable and static version

I tried to go back to an earlier version using Help>Update ImageJ…
but when I did this, changes that I had seen (I think specifically it was a change to the script editor but I don’t really remember) didn’t revert (I did restart Fiji).

So do I need to somehow revert not just imageJ but Fiji? Or did I do something wrong?
What am I missing?

And how do I set it so it doesn’t do automatic updates?

Thanks

The easiest way to revert to an old Fiji is to download a Life-Line version, or more recently, an archived datestamped version.

This command only changes the version of the ImageJ 1.x core library, not the version of any ImageJ2 component libraries, nor any Fiji plugins.

Three ways:

1. When the updater dialog first appears, it looks like this:

You can select “Never” from the dropdown, and you should never be prompted to update again.

2. You can manually disable update checks forever for the current user by launching the Script Interpreter (under Plugins › Scripting › Script Interpreter, or shift+[ shortcut), and running the following one-liner:

pref.put(net.imagej.updater.UpToDate.class, "latestNag", Long.MAX_VALUE)

3. If you want to be absolutely certain the Updater cannot run, ever, you can delete jars/imagej-updater-*.jar and jars/imagej-plugins-uploader-*.jar from your Fiji installation.

See also this issue:

Rather than silently working around it, or worse, never updating again, please report bugs here on the forum when you encounter broken behavior. Thanks!

4 Likes

Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for.

Also, how do I know what version of IJ2 component libraries or Fiji plugins I currently have?

I have thought about doing this but the issue is the frequency in which this has been happening for me. Additionally the information I have about possible bug or broken behavior is usually kind of vague - like, “I’m pretty sure this wasn’t happening last time I used this script/did xyz, but I have no idea what version I was using (I don’t even know what version I’m currently using) and I’m not sure what image I ran it on.”

So it’s not like I can give a reproducible bug report. Also sometimes I’m not exactly sure what’s going on other than it was working and now it’s not. So I really just want a stable version where I don’t have to worry about it. What would be best for me would be two different update levels, like beta and release/stable (as far as I’m aware this doesn’t exist, is that correct?).

1 Like

You can use Plugins › Debug › System Information for a full report.

The versions of everything are also part of the filenames in the Fiji.app/jars and Fiji.app/plugins folders.

Sorry to hear you have had frequent problems. We try very hard to preserve backward compatibility (oftentimes even to the detriment of forward progress). I would love to help you get to the bottom of your issues.

The Plugins › Utilities › Make Fiji Package command can be used to create an archive of your current Fiji installation, for long-term reproducibility in future.

I understand—it can be difficult to reproducibly pinpoint these things. Maybe the “Make Fiji Package” command helps you there in the future, if you keep an archive of a working Fiji installation at the time you create your scripts.

This is something we have discussed on multiple occasions in the recent past. Perhaps @frauzufall has comments about it.

2 Likes

The “Make Fiji Package” command sounds good, I’ll try that.
And the system information report is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks so much for your help.

3 Likes