Interactive tool for rotation

Hi, I’m analyzing a series of pictures with varying rotations and was wondering if there was an interactive tool for rotation with a preview. The guess and check with the number input is very slow for a lot of pictures and was wondering if there was a macro or tool I didn’t know of where a slider from 0-360 degrees could be used to rotate an image.

Please update ImageJ to version 1.52i.
This version comes with a preview and a slider.

However you should also think of aligning your images in a reproducible fashion by automatic means. Could you please post representitive images and tell us how you would like to see them rotated?

Regards

Herbie

Yes, the newly introduced slider is really helpful.

Note that the Preview option is missing when working on multi-channel images in Composite mode, as the rotation preview only works on a single slice. (You can switch to Color or Grayscale mode in the Channels Tool to enable the preview.)

Another option is Plugins > Transform > Interactive Rigid, which provides two points to interactively drag your image into a new position, and press Enter when you’re done:

Wow, one update was really all I was missing. The slider I’m seeing now only goes from -90 to 90 though, is there a way to set the upper limit?
Also, here’s a representative photo. I want to rotate them head facing up, but I don’t think that’s reproducible automatically because you would need user input to see where the head is, and they’re so symmetrical. Some crazy macro that could crop the photo by maximizing the height of the image would be interesting though.

Another cool tool I never knew existed!

Good day,

orientation goes from 0 to 180deg or -90deg to +90deg, direction however uses the full 360deg range.

In your case the latter is apparently the case.

Thanks for the image!

I want to rotate them head facing up, but I don’t think that’s reproducible automatically because you would need user input to see where the head is, and they’re so symmetrical.

However, my ImageJ-plugin “Angular_Deviation.class” may help with the task and it has the advantage that the results are reproducible. For your sample image (I used the green channel only, because the plugin doesn’t work with RGB-images) I get a deviation from the vertical of 33.13 ±0.075 deg (a higher accuracy isn’t possible due to mathematical reasons [image size]).
Now you (a human) must decide whether to add 180 degs (direction!) or, as it is the case, to rotate the image clockwise by 33.13 degs.

Because the plugin is macro-recordable you may enter the resulting angle to a rotation command. However the plugin does not analyze directions, only orientations.

Some crazy macro that could crop the photo by maximizing the height of the image would be interesting though.

Cropping and maximizing appear a bit contradictory to me.

Could you please be a bit more specific about what you want to achieve?

Regards

Herbie

1 Like

Sorry, to clarify your tool is basically what I was suggesting, where you rotate the worm to maximize their vertical length and the user decides whether or not to flip vertically. I’ll definitely use this, thanks for the help!