At the Liverpool Centre for Cell Imaging, we implemented Booked Scheduler running on a local Virtual Machine.
It’s an open source project so it’s as customisable as is your skill with PHP / SQL / HTML / CSS but with that said, it pretty much works out of the box. We’ve been very pleased with it overall.
Highlights for us:
- Customisable schedules
- Great reporting system (by group / user / equipment, etc)
- Can authenticate on our Active Directory
- Email notifications of bookings / can add equipment calendars to your outlook calendar
- Custom accessories (we have objectives / specialist stages as part of the the bookings)
- ASIDE: being on a VM, snapshots make system backup and recovery really easy. You can also dump the DB if you want daily/hourly backups.
There is a fairly flexible quota and credit system built in. See the help page for details.
For balance, if you need automated integration with a billing system or a process monitor you will need to do some work or outsource a bit of development.
Happy to answer any specific questions, we have no commercial interest, but are very happy users!