Instructions for creating an Update Site

We have been getting a few Update Site requests lately and along with them, many questions regarding the steps to create one. So I just wanted to make sure we have all that information in a single place.

First off - currently - you can ask @ctrueden, @hinerm, @etadobson, or @turekg for help in creating a new Update Site.

The instructions found on the ImageJ wiki are still correct:

For a short, succinct version of the instructions, you can follow this old post by @ctrueden, summarized here:

1. Choose Help › Update… from the menu
  2. Click “Manage Update Sites” button
  3. Click “Add update site” button ( not “Add my site”… I would like to remove that button because it’s confusing)
  4. For URL enter https://sites.imagej.net/NameOfYourUpdateSite/
  5. For Name enter NameOfYourUpdateSite
  6. For Host enter the upload information that depends on the protocol available for uploading:

1. Leave Directory on Host blank

An example of what that might look like:

1. Then click Close.
  2. Then click “Advanced mode” and in the View Options choose “View local-only files”. You should see your plugin JAR(s) and dependencies listed. Select them all with shift+click, then right-click and there should be a “Upload to NameOfYourUpdateSite” option available. Click that.
  3. Click “Apply changes (upload)” button.
  4. When the password prompt comes up, fill in your password (different from your wiki password)
4 Likes