Installing OMERO.insight 5.5.9 on linux

Hi,

I’m running into a problem installing the latest insight client on CentOS.

When I run the shell script /bin/omero-insight I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/openmicroscopy/shoola/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:803)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:442)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:64)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:354)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:348)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:347)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)

I tried updating java but this didn’t resolve it.

The previous versions had quite a different layout with a helpful install document:

INSTALL.txt
OMEROinsight_unix.sh
omero.insight.jar
config/
bin/

The new structure much less helpful:

bin/
config/
lib/

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Which version of Java are you using? It needs at least 8 – https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.6/sysadmins/version-requirements.html#java

(You mention the Java update but not which version so I thought it best to be sure.)

Here’s another idea: locate /bin/java or similar to find your Java installations. I previously opened a ticket about Insight’s launcher script sometimes making some very odd choices there. I can’t find that ticket right now so I don’t know if it was ever fixed but you may want to make sure you’ve wholly removed any old Javas from your system, in case Insight is surprisingly trying to use them.

Hi @mtbc,

thanks for that - I’ll take a look next time in to see which java version is installed and where.

Do you happen to know what’s happening with the versions of OMERO in the download index.

I am used to finding the version number of OMERO.server from the web login page and downloading the corresponding OMERO.insight from the download index page. OMERO.insight doesn’t appear for versions >5.5.0.

The link from the main download page says it’s for 5.5.9 and as I’d been well trained to always match the point versions of client and server I wasted a lot of time trying to find a 5.6.x version of OMERO.insight in the download index. Has this requirement been relaxed now?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

We’ve now decoupled the release versions of OMERO.server, OMERO.insight, OMERO.web and other OMERO libraries. The latest versions will always be listed on the downloads page.

Apologies for the wasted time. It is a significant change from our long-standing version-matching policy. We’ll try to improve the documentation around this soon.

Regards,

Will.

1 Like

Hi @will-moore,

no worries. It’s great to see informative error messages with there’s a version mismatch.

Cheers,

Chris

thanks @mtbc,

installing the right version of java did the trick

yum install java-1.8.0-openjdk

Do you how to get an INSTALL.txt or similar added to the download? I had a poke around GitHub repository but I have no idea how java/gradle build works with the packaging process works.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris

The minimum compatible version is declared in the build.gradle file.

java {
    sourceCompatibility = JavaVersion.VERSION_1_8
    targetCompatibility = JavaVersion.VERSION_1_8
}

We should make it clear in the README and eventually add an extra file with info.

Thanks for pointing that out

Jmarie