Install Developers Cellprofiler on Win Xp 32bit

Hello world!

So I decided to install the developers version of CP. I think my idea is making some litle mods or combine modules to create new modules. This is my first real programming experience (I guess autohotkeys doesn’t count hehe) so I hope I can survive it and hope you can survive my fool-sounding-newbie questions.

I’ve installed MatplotLib, WxPython, JDK,Tortoise, MinGW, Cython,MySQLdb, Numpy, Scipy, PIL, InnoSetup and py2exe. As far as I checked they were all the py2.5 compatible versions.

I created a folder on the desktop and with Tortoise I transfered there the files from svnrepos.broadinstitute.org/Cel … llProfiler

Python and MinGW seem to be located at c:\Python25 and c:\MinGW\bin.

I made with notepad a file containing:
[build]
compiler=mingw32
and named it: distutils.cfg then I moved it to c:\Python25\Lib\distutils\

Now there are two points that I don’t get.
1)“After installing MinGW and Python, place them both on your system environment path. If you chose the default install directories, this should probably be c:\Python25 and c:\MinGW\bin.”

How or what do I “place in my system environment path”? Are they already there?

2)“Unzip files to a directory (using an extraction package such as Winzip or similar), open a command prompt and cd to that directory, and type python setup.py install”

Errr…what am I suppose to unzip?
I cd to that folder and sent “python setup.py install” but it says that it doesn’t recognize the command “python”. I certainly missed something right?

Thanks a lot for you time and effort!

Hi,

I assume you’ve probably already figured this out, but I thoght I’d address it in case there are others out there with the same problems.

[quote=“Feel”]1)“After installing MinGW and Python, place them both on your system environment path. If you chose the default install directories, this should probably be c:\Python25 and c:\MinGW\bin.”

How or what do I “place in my system environment path”? Are they already there?
[/quote]

The general procedure for modifying environment variables can be found here. There should be a “Path” variable under the system environment variables; you can add these additional paths to those already there, separating them with semicolons.

[quote=“Feel”]2)“Unzip files to a directory (using an extraction package such as Winzip or similar), open a command prompt and cd to that directory, and type python setup.py install”

Errr…what am I suppose to unzip?[/quote]

Oops, those instructions were for a prior link to a Cython file which was packaged as a zip file.

To permit running Python from a command prompt, you’ll need to add the Python installation folder to your Path system variable as per above.

I’ve edited the wiki accordingly. Thanks for pointing these issues out!

Regards,
-Mark