Increase thumbnail size in OMERO?

Just wondering if there’s been any update on this question? For many of our datasets the thumbnail size is too small and we need to resort to the full viewer, which isn’t terribly practical for scanning through 100s of images. It would be really great for the zoom function to increase the detail visible rather than provide a more pixelated view of the thumbnail.

Hi,

I’m afraid we haven’t been progressing on this issue.

Thanks for the feedback, and for boosting the priority of this issue. I’ve created https://github.com/ome/omero-web/issues/164 where we’re tracking issues now and I’ll look into it.

Regards,
Will.

And I just opened a PR to fix this at https://github.com/ome/omero-web/pull/165

However, once this is merged & released etc, you should expect some performance reduction, partly because the thumbnails are larger but also because the server generates size 96 thumbnails on import and will have to create the larger thumbnails on demand.

Regards,

Will

Wow, that was quick! Many thanks, Will.

Will that be implemented on nightshade in a future release (pretty please)?

Hi Chris,

Changing the thumbnail size is a big change as it will affect all users, so it would need a strong encouragement from a good number of users.

How big are your images and how large do you need the thumbnail to be in order to be useful?

One option that might allow you to browse images at higher resolution is to use OMERO.figure. Select a range of images and “Open with OMERO.figure”.
This will allow you to scan through the images and you can open selected images in the webclient (for annotating etc) or in the iviewer by using the Info tab.
You can also increase the zoom, adjust the rendering settings etc for all the images, so you have a lot more control than for thumbnails.

Hope that option is of some use to you?
Cheers,

Will.

Hi Will,

Yes, I appreciate the effect on others. I don’t think they need to be much larger: 200-250 px would be great. For reference the images are large, approx. 9000x5000px.

Thanks for the suggestion with OMERO.figure (which is a fantastic tool BTW), however it doesn’t suit our need.

We’d like a way to efficiently scan through a whole data set and add categorical annotations as well as quality ratings which are only available within OMERO.web. Like with an old-fashioned contact print in photography. Currently 96px thumbnails are just too small to do this so need to resort to having two windows open: one with OMERO.web to be able to annotate and one with OMERO.iviewer to be able to view in sufficient detail. It works, but is clunky.

Best,

Chris

Hi Chris,

One potential workaround is you could use some JavaScript to directly load larger thumbnails into the page. Once you’ve loaded all the thumbnails you want to work with.
Then, open the browser console and enter this snippet:

$("li.row").each(function(){
    let iid = $(this).data('id')
    $('img', this).attr('src', `/webgateway/render_thumbnail/${ iid }/250/`);
});

Unfortunately you’d have to do this each time you browse a new set of Images, but if it works for you then it might be less painful than your current workflow?

Cheers,
Will

Hi Will,

That’s a nifty trick. Will definitely try it out.
Thanks for all the help.

Chris