Imglib2 rois status

Hello,

I would like to inquire on the status of imglib2-roi:

• Are they useable already?
  • Are there wrapper functions converting IJ1 Roi to the new ones?

Yes, and yes.

Until the documentation in imagej-tutorials is updated, please refer to the material of the ImageJ Scripting workshop at the I2K Conference in Heidelberg, in particular the code highlighted below:

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Hi @imagejan, coming back to this, is there also something where one could draw such a ROI in BigDataViewer, in 2D? Doesn’t have to be production ready and stable code, just something that I could hack it into my own application.

1 Like

All the examples in @maarzt’s imagej-roi-course are using #bigdataviewer to show the results.

Displaying the new ImgLib2 ROIs in BDV is actually much easier than having to convert them back to display in the ImageJ 1.x user interface.

2 Likes

Didn’t seem to include something for drawing an ROI in BDV…

What do you mean by “drawing”?

For displaying:

For drawing/filling pixels covered by the ROI in an existing image, that’s unrelated to BigDataViewer, no?

Hi,

As far as I know nothing change much within the last 2 years. The rois in imglib2 roi support:

• Conversion to and from IJ1 Rois.
  • Combination by logic operations.
  • Geometrically shaped like rectangle, ellipsoid… rois.
  • Querying the bounding box.
  • Asking if a pixel is contained by the Roi.
  • Conversion to RandomAccesibleInterval (The RAI can then be displayed in BDV)

What I still miss, is the ability to interactively edit rois when displayed in BDV. But editing a roi in 3D is a complex task… just think of 3D CAD software, or 3D modeling software like Blender.

2 Likes

Drawing with my mouse…

1 Like

For me, currently 2D would be enough :slight_smile: But I guess that’s also quite some work already.

I would for now just use the IJ1 Rois.

Having BDV Rois would be amazing though :wink: But quite some infrastructure would have to be written for that. This 3D box which @tpietzsch implemented is the closest we have so far.

3 Likes

I don’t know the BDV internals well enough, but I guess it should be possible to implement a new mode, e.g. “edit mode”, listen to mouse click events, and relate the click coordinates to world coordinates (knowing the current view/transformation of the BDV panel). That should give you valid coordinates that are within the current view plane and are sufficient for a 2D ROI arbitrarily oriented in 3D space.

This surely is possible, but some work :slight_smile:

1 Like