ImgLabeling contains no labels when converted from slice view

I’m trying to get a labeling image from just a single slice of a stack, using ImageJ2 (i.e. imglib2-roi and imagej-ops) functionality.

With the following (Groovy) script (and the new Img => ImgLabeling conversion in imagej-common-0.33.0), when trying e.g. on the Bat Cochlea Volume sample image:

#@ Dataset inputStack
#@ ConvertService cs
#@ OpService ops
#@ UIService ui

import net.imglib2.roi.labeling.ImgLabeling

slice = ops.transform().hyperSliceView(inputStack, 2, 10)
//ui.show(slice)

labeling = cs.convert(slice, ImgLabeling.class)

//ui.show(labeling.getIndexImg())
println labeling.getMapping().getLabels()

I get an empty set ([]) when trying to convert just a slice, whereas everything works as expected ([255]) when I convert the entire stack:

labeling = cs.convert(inputStack, ImgLabeling.class)

When showing the index image, I do see a correct one (with continuous labels starting at 1) for the entire stack, but just a copy of the slice (with index at 255) for the “converted” single slice.

My questions to the ImgLib2 experts:

• Is there something wrong in my implementation of the conversion? (See imagej-common changes)
  • Is there something wrong in how I use ImageJ Ops to get the slice (view)? Should I make a copy first?
  • Is there something wrong in my script?

Thanks all for your help.

2 Likes

Is it possible that this fails

because the slice is not an Img (I assume…?), so it will not have a ImageFactory?
But strange that you apparently get a non-null labeling then.

1 Like

Ah, yes, thanks for that hint!

That was exactly what was confusing me as well. But your reply reminded me that there is org.scijava.convert.DefaultConverter that supports conversions of:

• Objects where the destination Class has a constructor which takes that Object

So in this case, the SciJava framework wasn’t choosing the dedicated implementation (because the input object didn’t match Img), but instead returned a:

new ImgLabeling(slice)

… which is an invalid ImgLabeling that has no LabelMapping attached, but still has a non-empty index image. That explains exactly what I am seeing. :slight_smile:

So, now: @tpietzsch, if I want to change the converter to accept any RandomAccessibleInterval, what is the recommended way to create a new image with a suitable ImgFactory and the same type and dimensions as my input RAI?

I would use net.imglib2.util.Util::getTypeFromInterval to get the type of the input RAI and net.imglib2.util.Util::getSuitableImgFactory to get a suitable image factory.

1 Like