"ImageJ" trademark of UW-Madison?

Dear hosts and those who are in the know,

having just read the smallprint of this forum I found the following:

“UW-Madison, ImageJ, the ImageJ logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with ImageJ, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of UW-Madison or UW-Madison’s licensors.”

Now my question:

Is it true that “ImageJ” is a “trademark[s] or registered trademark[s] of UW-Madison or UW-Madison’s licensors”?

Thanks for enlightening commentaries.

Best

Herbie

As far as I know: the forum ToS were auto-generated by Discourse, adapted from a WordPress standard, and populated by search and replace. I’m not aware of a trademark on the ImageJ name, and wasn’t able to find a registered trademark via the US trademark search

@ctrueden - any reason not to delete/prune that line from the ToS?

“As far as I know: the forum ToS were auto-generated by Discourse […]”

If this is true then “Discourse” does a pretty dangerous job and I urgently ask those who are responsible for this forum and for the legal smallprint (ToS) to immediately check and correct/adapt what is written about legal rights as well as the use and abuse of this forum.

Thank you

Herbie

That is correct. ImageJ is not trademarked, and I do not believe could (or should) be trademarked.

We changed the section to read as follows:

This Agreement does not transfer from UW-Madison to you any UW-Madison or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with UW-Madison. There may be trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with this Website which are trademarks of UW-Madison and/or other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any UW-Madison or third-party trademarks.

2 Likes